Chinese Village, Critique Wanted

Jas101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello last weekend I traveled to a small village outside Shanghai and took several photos. Some of them I enjoyed, but some where in the awkward space between not bad enough to throw out, but not quite good enough either. Here are three of these pictures and I'd appriciate some comments on how I could improve them:

All are shot as jpg with aperture priority using a Olympus OMD M10 and the kit 14-42EZ lens and no flash, click for larger:

• ƒ/10.0
  • 30.0 mm
  • 1/400
  • 200 ISO
  • What I wanted to show: I like the white walls with the darker spots, also felt the trees and foilage could act as something of a frame to the left and the top while the pathway would lead the viewer through the picture.

• ƒ/6.3
  • 25.0 mm
  • 1/200
  • 200 ISO
  • What I wanted to show: Similar to the first picture, but with the added red colors of the doors

• ƒ/5.0
  • 25.0 mm
  • 1/500
  • 200 ISO
  • What I wanted to show: I wanted to show the contrasts, the green vegetation and river against the red roofs in the background, as well as the old style both with the relatively modern buildings.
Thanks in advance!

I really love the first one, the black and white is a great effect, and it creates a very eerie, abandoned feel to the picture. Good use of leading lines, the eye is drawn around the picture!
The second one is very interesting too, but the first thing I noticed was the wall gets cut off at the bottom, very distracting. The colours are very nice, but could've been brought out more, the red should be the subject of the picture, but my eye is drawn to everything else first.
I love the reflection in the 3rd one, I love the contrast between the old boat and the newer buildings in the back. However, I feel the colour is a little washed out, just a little saturation boost would complete this image.

First 2 are awesome Jas! The last one seems dull and not sharp enough..... Love the BW!:bouncingsmileys:

I think the first is really a lovely shot.
I would suggest a couple of issues.
First rotate it a bit (and crop it) so that the houses don't go 'downhill'
the second is more a personal preference with no reason; I would lower the brightness a bit so that it gets more of a sombre look
(this might also benefit from a bit of a sepia tone)

(please excuse the unfixed wedge at the bottom - have to run out now)

8WrYvAJ222222.jpg

8WrYvAJlll4444444.jpg

First shot is very nice.I agree on just the slight tilt correction.Looks a little spooky,A ghostly kinda of place.

The second one would look great in black and white. I don't think there is need or room for improvement. Keep up the good work.

Most reactions

Back