Choosing a 24-70 f2.8

jinx703x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im looking to replace my 18-55 kit lens. It's not that it's a bad lens but I really want a little more reach for a walk around lens. I don't think I'll miss the 18-24 range becuase if I need something that wide Id toss on the Tokina 11-16 that I really like. Right now I'm shooting with a D7100 and hope to go FF next year after getting some decent glass. I shoot mostly low light street stuff and bar bands.

Having said all that does anyone recommend one over the others? The nikon seems to be the sharpest but waaaaay out of my budget. Even second hand. Which leaves the sigma or Tamron. I've read varying reviews which has left me confused. Also, Tokina has announced a 24-70 to be released this fall.

Input? Thoughts? Am I over thinking it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I can't discuss the technical aspects because that's not an area I am comfortable in. But I was doing research on what 24-70mm lens to get last October and many of the respected reviewers seemed to compare the Tamron and Nikon fairly equally. I bought the Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD for my D810 in November and have absolutely no regret. It's a fantastic lens and I have made some beautiful pictures with it. It saved me hundreds of dollars over the Nikon, but if the Nikon had been more noticeably better, I would have spent the extra money.

The Tamron will work on your D7100. I haven't heard any legitimate proclamations from owners that they wished they had gotten the Nikon instead. One valid argument from those who are doing the same considering you are is the resale value. The Nikon would likely hold its value better than the Tamron. I don't really care about that though.

Good luck,

Jim

I have the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G and LOVE it, had it on my D7100 and now the D750, you will not regret getting this focal range.
I agree the Tamron will be the right choice for you, from what I heard from people like "Braineak" and other who own it is that its a great lens, very close to the Nikon and has the VC which is excellent!!!

I actually think the focal range is somewhat limiting, and with our sensors i don't think having a constant 2.8 is that necessary.

Sometimes I think I'd rather just use a prime when I really need speed and then have a smaller, lighter, CHEAPER, more versatile general lens for everyday use.

but I would still certainly pick the Tamron over the Nikon without question.

Last edited:
@Braineack - what lens would you recommend?

I should probably add that I have a 35 f1.8 and a 50 f1.8 that I really like using for bars and are both easily carried around. But when I'm going out for the day there is something appealing about not bringing multiple lenses and having to switch lenses back and forth. Being that I am planning on switching to FF I figured this would be a versatile and worthwhile investment. The only other prime lenses I think I'd use is a 24mm or 85mm primes which are both exceedingly expensive.

Last edited:
I don't like changing lenses, I rather carry 2 lenses and switch once or twice between them and not carry few primes which I will need to switch more.
For me 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 cover pretty much all the range I need 24-200mm f2.8
Don't like primes, not flexible lenses.
But if you like primes there definitely is a lot of benefit for them.
If I wanted to replace my 24-70mm with primes I would get
Nikon 24mm 2.8D or Nikon 28mm 1.8G
Nikon 50mm 1.8G
Nikon 85mm 1.8G

I actually think the focal range is somewhat limiting, and with our sensors i don't think having a constant 2.8 is that necessary.

Sometimes I think I'd rather just use a prime when I really need speed and then have a smaller, lighter, CHEAPER, more versatile general lens for everyday use.

This is what I decided was the correct route (for myself) to take. I upgraded to a 750 and was looking at various 24-70 models and finally realized that I could easily get by with a constant f4. Ended up with a Sigma 24-105 Art that I teamed up with a Nikon 16-35 f4 and I am very happy. If I really need a faster lens I have a couple of primes that can do the job.

@Braineack - what lens would you recommend?

I should probably add that I have a 35 f1.8 and a 50 f1.8 that I really like using for bars and are both easily carried around.

You already have a couple of great primes - maybe you don't need 2.8 zooms.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back