Choosing a Camera

Which would be a better value? Canon EOS 80D or Nikon D7200?

• Canon EOS 80D

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Nikon D7200

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

DaniEven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I've come to the conclusion that I should get either the Nikon D7200 or Canon EOS 80D for what I'm wanting to do. I know that the Canon typically has better glass but that you can find good deals with the Nikon cameras. My question though is which has a better value for their price. The Canon 80D runs at $1,099.00 whereas the Nikon D7200 runs at $999.99.

For the Canon I would first get the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L. And with the Nikon I'd be going with the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G.

The better value is the one you use.

Canon has "better glass"? Not so sure about that, but one thing I am 100% certain of: Nikon always has the better sensor in any new d-slr. Canon EOS 80D vs Nikon D7200 | DxOMark

The 80D is probably the first generation of Canon d-slr to even come close to the new-era Nikon sensors.

I would look at the cameras in the store and see which one you like. Get the camera you can SEE THROUGH the best! Look for a good, clear viewfinder image. Look for a camera that shoots fast (frame rate). The advantage NIkon has is the availbility of older,low-cost,used AF and AF-D autofocus lenses, as well as 60 million pre-AF manual focus lenses which will mount and shoot on the D7200; these older, manual focus Ai- and Ai-S Nikkor lenses are often quite low-cost, and can be a help to the budget shooter.

The Canon advantage is that the EOS lens mount can use adapter-fitted lenses from seven legacy 35mm brands, but that is a kludgy thing for a beginner shooter, using manual focusing on a d-slr, and not having the lens automatically stop down to shooting aperture.

EITHER of these modern, autofocus d-slr cameras are better shooters than most of us grew up using. I would try to get at least ONE, good, fast prime lens for the camera. As I mentioned earlier today in another of your posts, at a high school sports events, you can often get quite close to the action, especially if you are shooting for the newspapper or the yearbook, or the school or district's website. An 85mm f/1.8 lens for $400 or so would be a VERY capable, 127mm f/1.8-equivalent "sports lens" that is plenty long enough for track and field, basketball,volleyball,swim meets, and so on.

If you have only ONE, single prime lens, I would consider $400 spent on the Canon 85mm or Nikon 85/1.8 lens to be money well-spent. If you are very low-budget, look into the autofocus 50mm f/1.8 lens for either camera, and use the 1.6x or 1.5x Field of View factor to make the 50 into a roughly 75mm f/18 equivalent lens using the old-stlye "35mm film format" way of categorizing lenses. In Canon, get ONLY the 50/1.8 STM lens! In Nikon, get the screw-driven AF-D lens for less money and faster AF than the newer ADF-S G lens...the older, cheaper 50mm f/1.,8 Nikkor AF-D lens focuses like lightning!

Hey guys

One of my mates suggested that I rent a Canon mk III from Fat Lama | Rent Almost Anything for when I go on holiday to Hainan, China in a couple of weeks and I do photography etc etc (I don’t do enough exciting stuff to justify buying one :D). The problem is I don’t really know which of them on there is the best to get. I’m not by any means good at photography or anything like that, it’ll just be for me and my mates to look at and maybe make into a video. Do any of them on there look suitable? (Apologies if this question gets asked a lot!)

Cheers!

A Nikon VS Canon discussion is alway a popcorn moment.
Starting with Brand X has better glass, ...

No seriously, I always heard that Canon is for consuments and Nikon for professionals?
Of is that a myth?

Choose a camera that has low noise, low ISO possibities, all manual options and that's about it. The rest is your lenses and your own creativity.
Just remember: a good photographer can make a really good photo out of a very bad camera. A good camera is no guarantee to make you a good photographer.

Both good cameras, for video the 80D is better due to its video smooth tracking capabilities.
For photography the D7200 has the advantage due to its superior sensor.
Both have very good glass, saying one company has better glass then the other is silly because its wrong, both make great glass and today with third party makers you have so much choice for each of these cameras, I personally have Nikon, Tamron and Sigma glass in my camera bag and all work great and for the prices I was happy with.

Bottom line, if you mostly do photography get the D7200 as its not only cheaper but the better camera.

I agree with the others, the Canon 80D has better "IQ" image quality, better and larger selection of lenses, faster AF, etc. but go to a store and check them and for yourself
( bring an SD card so you can save and see the difference at home)
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

So I've come to the conclusion that I should get either the Nikon D7200 or Canon EOS 80D for what I'm wanting to do.
What DO you want to do ?!?!?

I know that the Canon typically has better glass
I would argue the opposite. Nikon and Canon current glas is about equal. Canon is better in some areas and Nikon is better in some areas. However the differences are minor and nobody is in the clear advantage.

The advantage of Nikon is you still can get the old glas, of which some is exquisite. Canon however is not backward compatible. Additionally that old Nikon glas can be very cheap.

Not really much of a point for you since you're looking at APS-C (half frame, crop sensor, whatever you want to call it) cameras. You can still use that old glas, too, but it will have the crop factor.

So I've come to the conclusion that I should get either the Nikon D7200 or Canon EOS 80D for what I'm wanting to do.
What DO you want to do ?!?!?

I know that the Canon typically has better glass
I would argue the opposite. Nikon and Canon current glas is about equal. Canon is better in some areas and Nikon is better in some areas. However the differences are minor and nobody is in the clear advantage.
The advantage of Nikon is you still can get the old glas, of which some is exquisite. Canon however is not backward compatible. Additionally that old Nikon glas can be very cheap.
Not really much of a point for you since you're looking at APS-C (half frame, crop sensor, whatever you want to call it) cameras. You can still use that old glas, too, but it will have the crop factor.

I would also argue the opposite, Canon has "old" glass if that's what the OP wants
and better glass .... and more glass
and with mirrorless you can use any glass !

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back