choosing a camera

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by mintwin101, Jun 2, 2007.

1. mintwin101

mintwin101 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So here is my story. I have always enjoyed taking pictures and attempted to get them just right. After awhile I realized that a simple point and shoot camera isnt always the easiest way to do that. Now i am looking for a more advanced camera. The problem is i have no idea what to buy or what kind. Bassically i have no idea what i am doing. My main problem is my budget. I know it will be difficult but i would like to keep it around $300. If this is not possible please just tell me that. So i guess my question is in a nutshell what is an intermediate camera for hopefully around $300? thank you in advance

2. blackdoglab

blackdoglab yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know enough about digital, so i'll stick to film. Phoenix has a few kmount bodies and minolta md mount bodies, the minolta's even have aperture priority exposure. Nikon has the fm-10. Vivitar also has a beginner's slr. The Nikon might be the best deal of the bunch with the phoenix minolta mount in second. There is also the Canon Rebel which is an all out orgy of auto.

Then there's the world of used which might be more to your liking. Older Pentax, Olympus, Minolta, and Ricoh are reliable and have good optics.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    300 ain't enough for a Digital SLR, 300 is a budget film SLR with lens.

4. mintwin101

mintwin101 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, if you know anything about film slr's how would an Canon EOS Rebel K2 35mm SLR Camera with EF 28-90mm Lens be for a beginner?

5. blackdoglab

blackdoglab yeah I'm easy.... but I'm not cheap

Photos OK to edit
    That depends... I'm a bit of a neophyte and am apt to reccomend a pentax k1000 or other all manual camera. The Canon Rebel should be a good camera, though.

6. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, rebels are fine, it's about $200 on amazon.

7. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Considering the current value of 35mm SLRs, you could give eBay a try - you could buy four good SLRs in as-new condition for the price of buying one new. Or more to the point, you could buy one and have a lot more money left over for lenses...

8. mintwin101

mintwin101 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have narrowed it down to one camera. I am looking at getting the Canon EOS Rebel K2 35mm Camera from circuit city online. Here is the link

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Cano...17823/catOid/-13064/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

If this is not a good choice or a bad deal or anything please tell me. I'm sorry for the repeated and stupid questions, but i just want to make sure i dont screw something up. Thanks again you all have been of great help.

9. mintwin101

mintwin101 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, so I talked to my father, and after discussing it he is allowing me to get a used digital slr. So sorry guys but again i have no idea. I am sure that this is a stupid question but here it goes. Is ebay and amazon the places to buy used dslr's online? And what kind of camera should i keep my eye out for? thanks once again

10. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Nikon Digital D50 6.1 M/P WITH 18-55 F3.5-5.6 G WITH CABLES, CD, BATTERY & CHARGER, INSTRUCTION BOOK (REQUIRES SD CARD ), DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA OUTFIT Ex+ $499.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductDetail.aspx?groupsku=DN019990782300&brandcategoryname=Digital&Mode=searchproducts&item=0&ActivateTOC2=false&ID=&BC=DN&BCC=3&CC=1&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=&KW=

Worth a look.

mike

11. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you might be able to find a used canon 20d for around $600. Iono what your new budget is with the used digital.

12. mintwin101

mintwin101 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am trying to keep it if not under 400 which is impossible between 400-500