Choosing a digital camera for beginners.

yanuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, I've been browsing this great site for a while before registering to share a project I've pieced together. Instead of asking questions, I've pieced together a beginners guide to choosing a digital camera.

I've put this project together because as a photographer, my friends are always asking me what is the best camera to buy and with all the features that are being offered like image stabliser, high iso, wide angle, it does get a bit intimidating at first. I'm sure many photography enthusiasts in here are also highly regarded by friends.

I hope that this little project will help other photographers in here answer their friends as well!

Thanks for the info. I am thinking about the Canon XSI and it says it has a CMOS sensor. The specs are here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/c...ategoryid=139&modelid=16303#ModelTechSpecsAct

What does everyone think of this, advantages/disadvantages? What about the Digic III processor, is it worth it?

As for what I want: I would like to be able to go as far as possible with a camera until I am forced to get a new one to get the quality or features I want. The lenses I purchase along the way would need to be compatible with the next camera, for the most part. I have a Canon 35mm film and like the Canon format.

Going back and checking the specs on most of the Canon DSLRs, they seem to all be using the CMOS sensor.

When a professional looks at a new camera, what does he/she look at on a specification sheet from the manufacturer?

Going back and checking the specs on most of the Canon DSLRs, they seem to all be using the CMOS sensor.

When a professional looks at a new camera, what does he/she look at on a specification sheet from the manufacturer?

Canon has been using CMOS on all it's SLRs for a long time. THe CMOS is a great boon to me! It offered low noise compared to other brand's CCD sensors. The only other sensor that can beat the Canon's CMOS is fujifilm's SuperCCD. That aside, basically the Canon Rebel XSi (or Canon 450D in other parts of the world) is a very capable camera, the new 9 point AF is great.

The LIVE view LCD makes the camera easy to shoot at awkward angles, you can now compose your photos with the LCD, great for taking those top down shots to beat the crowd in front of you.

I would usually leave the tech specs aside and look for sample photos at high ISOs and get and hands on with the speed and accuracy of the AF.

When trying to search for more info on the Rebel XSi, try searching for 450D as well, it might churn up more results.

Cheers!

Canon has been using CMOS on all it's SLRs for a long time. THe CMOS is a great boon to me!

..."is a great boon...? Is that good, I don't understand that lingo.

I would usually leave the tech specs aside and look for sample photos at high ISOs and get and hands on with the speed and accuracy of the AF.

2) "tech specs"... you don't work at a power plant do you? That is a word we use in the industry I work in... just wondering.;)

When trying to search for more info on the Rebel XSi, try searching for 450D as well, it might churn up more results.

3) Yes, I usually tell my friends the 450D or XSI and in Japan, I think they call it something else.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Yanuck, was that mainly for P&S?

Am thinking for a beginner that is a lot of information for someone to absorb.

Also, if they are looking for DSLR, they may be interested in meaning of "f-stop" and how it relates to "shutter speed" and "ISO".

Also, what about the different sensor sizes and how the lens work with them. I've had my 30D for close to a year now, and just learnt that EF-S lens mean the UWA 17-55 will allow me to see "non-cropped" (thanks Big Mike :) ) ... have been wondering for longest time, what possessed Canon to even make EF-S lens, and that people were nuts to pay $900 for that when they can have the 24-70L or 24-105L.

An often asked question for DSLR beginners is probably ... what am I doing wrong, my IQ is horrible? Maybe have a link to that site that shows you how to check accuracy of lens? I did it and realized, "USER ERROR" - DOH :(

And most important ... you can't use the screen to compose your shot - took a couple times of "OMG! my camera is broken, again!" before I got used to looking in viewfinder.

..."is a great boon...? Is that good, I don't understand that lingo.
Boon is something good. Dictionary says:
boon –noun 1.something to be thankful for; blessing; benefit.
well you get the drift. :D

2) "tech specs"... you don't work at a power plant do you? That is a word we use in the industry I work in... just wondering.;)
Not power plant but engineer by training, so yeah quite related.

3) Yes, I usually tell my friends the 450D or XSI and in Japan, I think they call it something else.

Thanks for your help.
I'm glad you know. Overall, the 450D is a great cam for beginners, but it's a bit too small for my liking. :lol:

Hi Yanuck, was that mainly for P&S?

Am thinking for a beginner that is a lot of information for someone to absorb.

Also, if they are looking for DSLR, they may be interested in meaning of "f-stop" and how it relates to "shutter speed" and "ISO".

Also, what about the different sensor sizes and how the lens work with them. I've had my 30D for close to a year now, and just learnt that EF-S lens mean the UWA 17-55 will allow me to see "non-cropped" (thanks Big Mike :) ) ... have been wondering for longest time, what possessed Canon to even make EF-S lens, and that people were nuts to pay $900 for that when they can have the 24-70L or 24-105L.

An often asked question for DSLR beginners is probably ... what am I doing wrong, my IQ is horrible? Maybe have a link to that site that shows you how to check accuracy of lens? I did it and realized, "USER ERROR" - DOH :(

yups, it's for P&S. Well.. I guess it really is a little too much. I've thought about it that's why I added internal links for them to jump to the point direct if they cannot wait to read from top down. :lmao: but I really didn't want to leave out any features. I'll be updating more features soon. There is the touchscreen LCD hype going on.
And most important ... you can't use the screen to compose your shot - took a couple times of "OMG! my camera is broken, again!" before I got used to looking in viewfinder.
That's where the XSi comes into, it makes the transition to DSLR from P&S easier, the XSi comes with LCD live-view :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back