Choosing a monitor

curly

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Considering the monitor is what is used to make all the decisions about your images, I'd invest a little more and get an IPS panel AND a screen calibration solution. Or get a smaller screen, IMHO it's better to edit on a smaller, but color accurate, monitors.
The problem with non IPS monitor is the color shifting with slight viewing angle difference, a problem even more apparent on larger monitors where just shifting your sitting position might change the color you are viewing.
The drawback of IPS is the slower refresh time, realistically a non-issue for photo editing.

Yes. For image editing get an IPS display.

Does someone make a 16-bit color depth about $200 IPS display?
I don't think any TN display does 16-bit, and most TN displays aren't even 8-bit - only 6-bit.
IIRC - to get 16-bit color on a IPS display would require a display in the $1200 and up range.

Adobe Photoshop/LR minimum hardware requirements:
  • 1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256MB of VRAM

Well, you can get something like this Dell P2715Q 27 Ultra HD 4K Monitor P2715Q B H Photo Video a 27" , 4 K IPS display that claim to feature 10bit color for 500 buck. I would say that when something sound too good to be true it usually is, yet the reviews seem pretty good.

I have no experience with this monitor, but I would say that 10 bit vs 8 bit is not as much an issue; and to get 10 bit your whole chain has to be 10bit, from image to software to graphic card to cable to monitor. But color change with viewing angle is an issue, and it get annoying on a day to day basis.

Most reactions

Back