Choosing a name!

Stephi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This probably sounds very trivial but I feel its blocking me from
moving forward, but I have been trying to think of a name for my
photography business as I am really going to go for it this year.

My problem is I feel my name is too long to call my business by my
actual name and that my surname is quite rare and no-one can spell it
when you say it to them!

I was wondering what other people thought about this? Should I call it
by my name or carrying on trying to think up other original and quirky
names? - clearly some of my business name choices have been good
because they have all been taken lol! - any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks everyone :)

p.s I do all sorts of photography so don't really want a name that restricts me - like using a name that sounds like I just doing stock, portraiture, landscapes etc

I also am into moving image making so if I could have a name which incorporated that in that would be good, but probably asking to much! lol

Last edited:
How about "Moving Pictures"

a play on words

Shooting Children Photography
We Shoot U Photo!
The Picture Person
Guy With Camera Company
Flash Point Photo
Stop! Or we'll shoot Photography?

If your name doesn't work...how about initials or just parts of your name?

StephiPhoto
Photos by Stephi

Hi Stephi

I'm not sure what your full name is, so I can't add anything about using your last name., but what about something like "Photography by Stephi"?

I have an aversion to words like "shoot" - for me, it just doesn't convey an image of high-end, quality photography. One studio here in the US felt they had to change their name from "kid shooters" after the Columbine shootings, and it took them a long time to recover their business!

Hope you come up with something that works for you.

Nigel

Going along what was already said, you can use your initials (SxPhotography), or maybe use part of your first and part of your last name (SteJoPhoto) if it works.

My wife started her company and she was in a similar situation and a mix of her two names worked well.

Do you have a nickname you can use?
Do you speak other languages that you can draw on for inspiration? Translate words like Image, Picture, Motion, Moment or what not.

I agree with the suggestions above about shortening or using part of your name -- there must be some combination that sounds great. For example, if you and your spouse's names were Blimie and Herman...

Thank you for all the suggestions, to answer a few of your questions, I'm not sure i can combine my name my first name is stephanie and my surname is teece. -lots of e's!

My initials st are already taken as stphotography and other variations.

I don't have many nicknames - other than the variations you can do on my first name, I am known as phoenix on a few sites but phoenix photography is taken, and also i live in Devon and there is a phoenix devon place here so can't even work with that! lol

How about numbers? Like your telephone number, house number, birthdays, etc.
Like 101 Photography. LOL

Another thing to consider is if you are wanting to set up a web site to go with your business. If you are, do some checking to see if your business name happens to have the domain available.

And, don't lose too much sleep over it. Write down your ideas in a notepad as they pop into your head, then go back to them later. Add to the list, cross ones out you don't like later, etc. It will come to you. This is a very personal choice, and can actually be one of the more important business decisions you make.
My wife started her own candle business not too long ago, and it probably took her a good two months to decide on a business name that had a domain to match.

someone emailed me yesterday with the idea of 'experteece' as an idea for a name, i think its quite clever :) what do you guys think?

Last edited:
If the domain name was just to be my name do you think that would work? ie www.stephanieteece.co.uk
I realise it dosn't say what i do, but equally leaves it open for me to do photography and moving image? and also various types of photography?

If the domain name was just to be my name do you think that would work? ie www.stephanieteece.co.uk
I realise it dosn't say what i do, but equally leaves it open for me to do photography and moving image? and also various types of photography?

I think your original point was correct that people may have trouble spelling your name. Word-of-mouth is a big part of photography marketing, so you may not want to rely on the grapevine to teach people the proper spelling of your last name. Both the idea that you list here and the "experteece" idea are nice, but you may lose some prospectives who can't figure out how to get the spelling right.

For me, I like to pull inspiration for name from all over the place. I'd turn to photography terms whether esoteric or not (like, Latent Image), or look to mythology (for example, who is the god of light in various cultures?, what about other gods, goddesses, and mythological characters), or movie characters and fictional movie places or name that fit, or name it after someone else close to you. Inspiration comes in all forms; don't worry much...it will come to you.

Shooting Children Photography
We Shoot U Photo!
The Picture Person
Guy With Camera Company
Flash Point Photo
Stop! Or we'll shoot Photography?

Not too sure about all the "shooting" references... and of course, here in the U.S. people seem to have a bit of an aversion to anything with reference to shooting children...

Guy with the camera... hmmm... I've heard of "Two Men And A Truck" Moving company, so why not?!

You could also make up something that sounds expensive but is a non-word... like Hagen-Daz ice cream. Not a name, not a word, but sounds foreign and expensive...

Or maybe a play on your last name that is easier to remember? Tikki Photography? Touch Photos? Este or Estee Photography (the spelling out of your initials)?

Most reactions

Back