Choosing a new camera

Lion611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone! New member here!
After some years with my first reflex D3100 (only non-VR AF 18-55 lens), I would like to get more into photography. Honestly, in these years I didn't consider buying new lenses because I was a young boy [emoji1] (now 23 yo) so I didn't use the D3100 that much as I found more practical to use smartphone cameras (especially Samsung ones).
Now something has change, my master degree is over and I want to take some free time in order to learn something more about photography.
Actually I'm considering starting with a good camera (and some lenses) which can really guide me into this passion. I really like to take pics of panoramas (daylight and night, especially at sunset), street photography and portraits. I really like the idea of driving and taking pictures in the middle of nowhere as well as taking pictures in Rome (where I currently live).
I already red many pages on this forum and I started considering an old-school FF like the Canon D5 I to improve my skills. Personally, I consider more important a camera with good basics than one with not so good basics and many modern features (WiFi, GPS). The first thing to consider is that I'm on a budget, so I would like to enjoy this world and create my personal style without spending a lot of money ( my range is around 1000/1200€ for a beginner set: Camera, 2 or 3 lenses, bag, tripod, extra battery).
I will really appreciate if someone will guide me into this choice and suggest me some more cameras and lenses that are more suited to my needs. Thank you very much [emoji4]

I'd stay with Nikon and get some good lenses.

Update the camera later if need be

Look into a sigma 17-50mm OS lens, maybe a Nikon 35mm f1.8g dx lens and something long such as a tamron 70-300mm vr lens, a tripod, a remote cable and maybe a flash unit (TTL if possible).

I'm not saying but all these, but do a little research and see what you want to shoot, and what you might need.

You can then ask more specific questions

( my range is around 1000/1200€ for a beginner set: Camera, 2 or 3 lenses, bag, tripod, extra battery).
I am sorry to tell you this; but you will not get much better than you have already within that budget.

Enjoy the D3100, and use your money to buy 2 or 3 lenses, a bag, a tripod, and an extra battery.

You already own a "beginner" camera (Nikon calls it "entry level"). Your existing lens will continue to serve you as you learn the basics. See jaomul's post above for further lens suggestions, and get a good tripod.

( my range is around 1000/1200€ for a beginner set: Camera, 2 or 3 lenses, bag, tripod, extra battery).
I am sorry to tell you this; but you will not get much better than you have already within that budget.

Enjoy the D3100, and use your money to buy 2 or 3 lenses, a bag, a tripod, and an extra battery.

You already own a "beginner" camera (Nikon calls it "entry level"). Your existing lens will continue to serve you as you learn the basics. See jaomul's post above for further lens suggestions, and get a good tripod.
Thank you for your advices! I'll really appreciate them! Talking about money, I found some bundle offers for a D5 I. In particular I found at 550€ a D5 I (almost 20k shoots), a stabilised Canon 28-135, battery grip and a cheapy bag. Do you think it can be a good price for a FF or is better to start with a more recent FF camera if I could in future? Thank you again. ;)

I assume when you say d5 you mean a 5d. The canon is a good but old camera now (might or might not last)). The 28-135 is not in my opinion a very good lens, it's ok.It would be less expensive to keep what you have and add a lens or two.

You haven't really got the best out of your camera with a non stabilised kit lens.

In real terms the image quality of the canon is probably better, but the d3100 is no slouch, especially with good lenses.

I have owned the 5d and d3100. I would recommend getting at least a good standard lens for the d3100. If you want to upgrade later you could go for something like a d7200, not massive money, not fullframe, but a superb camera

I assume when you say d5 you mean a 5d. The canon is a good but old camera now (might or might not last)). The 28-135 is not in my opinion a very good lens, it's ok.It would be less expensive to keep what you have and add a lens or two.

You haven't really got the best out of your camera with a non stabilised kit lens.

In real terms the image quality of the canon is probably better, but the d3100 is no slouch, especially with good lenses.

I have owned the 5d and d3100. I would recommend getting at least a good standard lens for the d3100. If you want to upgrade later you could go for something like a d7200, not massive money, not fullframe, but a superb camera
Ok, I'll stay with Nikon. I found a good price for a D3300 with 18-55 VR + 18-105 VR + Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2 + Wu 1a wireless + tripod Manfrotto + Bag at less than 600€. Selling my D3100, can be a good bundle with stabilized lenses? Thank you

I think you are missing my point slightly.

The d3300 is a slight upgrade on your d3100. The tamron you mention is an older lens, not the new vr one. If you are set on replacement for the camera you'd be better off going for a more specced model such as the d7200 now.

I meant keep the d3100, add a lens to improve everything, and if you felt you needed a better camera upgrade then. Of course this is only a suggestion, but I wouldn't sell a d3100 just to buy a d3300

I think you are missing my point slightly.

The d3300 is a slight upgrade on your d3100. The tamron you mention is an older lens, not the new vr one. If you are set on replacement for the camera you'd be better off going for a more specced model such as the d7200 now.

I meant keep the d3100, add a lens to improve everything, and if you felt you needed a better camera upgrade then. Of course this is only a suggestion, but I wouldn't sell a d3100 just to buy a d3300
Ok, thank you for your suggestions. I'll start to look for a good price for this equipment, otherwise I'll buy lenses and tripod separately. I mostly like panoramas and street photography, so I think that the 70-300 will be the last lens I'll buy. Is it useful in these kind of photography or is something that can be bought later?

You can buy later if you feel it is worthwhile. You might prefer shorter length lenses or even wide angle.

Others might give other suggestions, but you have a very capable camera, utilise it until you realise you need some functions it does not have. Then you'll be in a better position to get the right camera for your needs

Keep the camera, buy decent glass.

I do not know if you prefer to zoom or not.

Check it out by buying the 1.8/35DX, 150€. This lens is very good, fits your camera well and you can walk Rome for a week and try it. It is nearly a normal lens like many famous photographers have used comparable lenses as their only lens.

Also the 1.8/50G, 165€, another very decent lens, which features the field of view of a short Tele / portrait optic on your body is to be considered.

For a decent Zoom you have to invest some more. The 2.8/17-55DX is very good choice here and you can get it used for 450 to 550€ on eBay.

If you are more of a Tele guy and plan to go for film format 24*36 later the 4/24-120 might be an option.

Bodies are expensive. When I was starting I bought used professional equipment like the F4. Today the D3 sells for a few bucks, although she is still a wonderful versatile camera.

A used D3 with a 1.8/50G would be a bold choice but fit in your budget. Better IQ, but less dependable would be a D600 with a 1.8/50G.

Note that film format cameras require more expensive optics.

Thank you all! I decide to keep my D3100 and take it to a new level with some lenses as suggested. I'll go that way as far as the D3100 will show me some limits. I'll try to take the best out of this entry level camera!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back