Choosing a SLR lens

jeffdrafttech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK, I put the $500 that I was going to spend on a "prosumer ultrazoom" in the bank and I'm going to save up for an SLR. I have pretty much decided on the entry-level canon rebel xt for the body (unless someone wants to talk me out of it).

The next step, what lens to get first?

The camera body is just under $500. The kit with 18-55mm glass is about $110 more.

I'm not going to break out the credit card for this, it isn't my trade. I've been having fun taking some photos lately and want to get a bit more advanced. I could grab the kit right now but I have some patience and can save a bit more cash.

I have been looking hard at the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00006I53S/ref=s9_asin_title_2/104-3602318-7165519"]Canon 28-135mm IS lens[/ame] that is all over the place for about $400. I like the idea of an IS lens because I can see myself using the camera handheld more than on a tripod. Many of the reviews on Amazon are people raving about how much they love this lens.

I think most of the wider-angle shots I'll take will fall to my SD800is. If I'm grabbing an indoor group shot with my buddies I'll be in a bar and my little pocket Elph will be what I have on me anyhow.

First, please recommend other IS lenses that I may want to consider for closer-up shots. I like nature photography and I want the ability to get in tight on a bird or wildlife I encounter without spooking them. I am looking at the 28-135 because it will get me close but still be wide enough to use for scenery and such.

Second. Should I just grab the kit and get on with it, then get a zoom lens later? Are there other SLR kits that I should consider? If I just had the body and ran across the Canon 18-55mm kit lens for $110, would that be a bargain that I shouldn't pass up? A price search turns that lens up for around $110 anyhow. Will I end up buying a wide angle lens later anyhow? What about getting the kit then getting an even tighter zoom lens for nature photos? Please recommend hobbyist zoom lenses that would be good for taking nature shots without disturbing nature.

Last. What lens to you use everyday. If you could choose just one affordable lens, which would it be. What lives on your camera most of the time? What is your favorite (affordable) SLR lens and why?

Honestly, I would defintely look into purchasing a fast prime lens. For example (if you are indeed going Canon) the 50mm f/1.8 USM II (I think that is the long name - if you go into a store and ask for the 50mm 1.8 they will know what you are speaking of) It is cheap (anywhere from $80-$100) but indispensable in many situations. If you can, try the lenses out and see which you prefer.

Fast primes are sweet for handholding shots in any light. 50 mm ones are very affordable too.

I think the thing to do would be to save up about another four hundo and get a fast, basic zoom. Maybe the best of both worlds, Get the fast prime now, and save for the fast zoom.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...714&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

This is the lens you will use day in and day out, unless you're an exclusive bird photographer or something...

Nikon makes VR macro lenses if you're going to be doing close up work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back