choosing the right school...HELP!

45rpm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so i plan to earn some kind of formal education in photography after high school. but i don't which school to choose. i know i should consider facilities, curriculum, the teachers, location (i definitely want an urban setting), and all of that. i considered going to the art institute of pittsburgh (since that's where i'm at), but i was told by a lot of friends to pass on that one, and my art teacher said the same. does anybody have any recommendations? one of my main concerns is how can i tell which schools have a strong, quality photography department/curriculum? i've been checking out the university of the arts in philadelphia lately, and i like what i'm seeing so far. i'm not totally sure what area of photography i want to take up, i know some schools require this decision to be made before entrance. so if anybody has any recommendations or advice for me, it would be very, very much appreciated. help me out here!

philadelphia university of the arts: www.uarts.edu

by the way, i'm not only restricted to pennsylvania, but ridiculously expensive schools and residing somewhere expensive like new york or california would probably not work out for me...

I'd advise going to a four-year liberal arts college and getting a well-rounded, broad-based education. You'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run.

I went to a community college and loved it. Its all hands on ( I had 2 papers to write in 2 years) and doesnt require you to know where youre going with it. Also a lot cheeper and super small classes. Ive now decided to go to a university to get a degree and I can transfer credits from my previous school. Those 2 years in community college were the most fun Ive ever had and because the class was so small, we all hung out and helped each other out. I walked away knowing so much more and with life long friends.
good luck, where ever you decide. :)

Rockport College - Rockport, ME
RIT - Rochester, NY
Brooks - Santa Barbara, CA
SVA - NYC
Parsons - NYC

These are some prominent names that comes to my mind.

I would probably give some thought to the above suggestion for a well-rounded education.

Good luck! :thumbup: :)

I was just looking up these things myself. I looked at the Philly Art Institute, but upon researching it, people didn't have many good things to say about it. Right now, UArts is my top choice (aside from Kutztown, where I am already accepted for something else). The only problem is that both schools have a portfolio requirement that involves other aspects than just photography. I am not an art type aside from my photography. I don't know how to deal with that yet.

Check out Bard college in New York - or, I'll tell you it's around 40000 a year and you can run as far away from it as possible :p

audreyld said:
I'd advise going to a four-year liberal arts college and getting a well-rounded, broad-based education. You'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run.
I'd suggest that too.

(Coming from a guy who spent last 9 hours doing homework)

Anyone had experience with New York Institute of Photography? I was thinking of this one myself because it's a correspondence course.

I would suggest that whatever school you choose to visit it and check out what they have to offer. If you like film more than digital, make sure they have a darkroom setup, vice versa with digital. Talk with the teachers and see what their knowledge is on the subjects and might even see some of their work and students work. I'd say pick a school that makes you feel comfortable, b/c that will in partial determine your work :) Good luck with whatever you choose, but I'd say take as many tours as possible :)

I go the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) in NYC. http://www.fitnyc.edu They actually want to change the name of FIT, because they think people assume it's all "fashion" stuff. I think they want to change it to just "THE Institute of Technology" which I think sounds dumb.

It's relatively "cheap" compared to other schools here in NYC (about $2,000/semester Associates degreefor in-state...out-of-state is around $4,000/semeser). The photography program is pretty good (at least that's what the photography majors tell me...I'm an FA student, I had to take intro photography courses though).

At the final end of the year student show, I'm always blown away by what the Photography students do. It's VERY professional work. And there is a very good job market, and a very good job placement rate for the whole school (about 93% of graduates have jobs soon after gradution). Many of the photography majors often get internships for major magazines (like ELLE, Esquire etc.)

We are also located on 27th St. in Chelsea, about 3 blocks from the +150 art galleries concentrated here...among which are the biggest names in the country (Gagosian, Pace, Mary Boone, Barbara Gladstone, Matthew Marks). And we are also about 5? blocks south of the B&H Photography/Video superstore (then there's Adorama on 19th St.)...

Chelsea also has A LOT of pro-labs, walking distance from each other, and rental studios. (most between 14th-20th Sts.)

I actually never wanted to go to FIT, but applied at the last minute, I'm pretty glad I did. And the dorm isn't too bad. Except they have one microwave downstairs that's gross, one fridge (for the 400-something students living in the building), and the washing machines flood.

I always assumed that FIT was an exclusive Fashion Design school. Your post made me go check their site now and I was surprised to listings of a bunch of other programs. I used to have a friend from FIT who graduated a while ago from their Fashion Design program.

Thanks for the lead Mumfandc.

i know im late in posting, but...
i went to the art institute of pittsuburgh and then worked there for 2 years...(then was laid off...) anyway...
The photography instructors there are great. but dont belive the school when they tell you there placement is 98% they include leaving school and getting a job at the 1hr photo joint that you could have gotten right out of highschool... and they may inlude Mcdonalds too...
anyway, the instructors know what they are talking about. they all have worked in the field. and they did just get a batchelors program acouple years ago. just check on the ability to transfer credits if you may deside on getting a AS in photo then going somewhere else to get the BS because not all schools accept there credits...
any questions feel free to contact me.

I'm looking around at schools now also.

Ive almost decided on the Arts Institute of Atlanta.

You should check out and get as much info on all the schools you can.

I have a nice size stack of college catalogs.

Your going to spend a lot of money going to an art school. Just make sure your money is going to the school and curriculum you like the best and would benefit you the most.

Good luck dude.

kwyjibo said:
Anyone had experience with New York Institute of Photography? I was thinking of this one myself because it's a correspondence course.

we discussed it here quite widely, also in General Photography and Camera Q7A thread, so search it. I know that some ppl posted some info about it.

Most reactions

Back