Choosing Zoom lens

wmc1117

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am in the process of looking for my second lens, and I know that I really like shooting nature but I also like portraits and urban...I am leaning towards a telephoto but I was curious how do you decide if you should get a lens that reaches up to 300mm or 200mm or a certain length?

What camera do you have, and what is your budget. I'd say your best bet on a decent but not huge budget, would be to get a 70-200 2.8 or 80-200 2.8 and a 2x teleconverter. That way you have a good fast zoom that goes to 200, and a 5.6 zoom if you need to go to 400.

what's your budget. I would recommend a 70-200mm f/2.8 with IS if it fits your budget. Great sharp lens, smooth bokeh and on a crop factor it's about 112-320mm

oh sorry I would say my budget is 300-400, cause I also want to get a manfrotto and maybe the nifty fifty.

oh sorry I would say my budget is 300-400, cause I also want to get a manfrotto and maybe the nifty fifty.
Then you won't be getting a good zoom, just an ok zoom.

The 70-200 mm F/2.8 IS, several refered you to is a $1800 lens, plus another $300 for the 2X teleconverter.

The pursuit of good photography equipment is fueled by $$$$$$$$$.

Keith says okay, I would say almost adequate for $400. But better yet, save your $$$ until you can get into the game. No need to rush.

(For Nikon) the 2x TC is a light whore. I've got a 1.7TC and it drops my 300mm f/4 to f/6.7. Think about it. You will need PLENTY of light with a 2.0. AF hunt will also be a factor with a 2.0. I wouldn't unless it's on a superb lens. Just my 2¢.

ok ok...thanks for the advice, I guess what I really need is someone to kindly point me in the direction of the nearest treasure map, cause I need some $$$.

But I want to turn this question more towards the 50mm (nifty fifty). What are the primary uses for this lens, is it primarily closeups/portraits?

The nifty fifty is great for lots of things, granted you have to walk for it to be farther or closer to the subject, but its a really sharp lens, and aperture of 1.8 or 1.4 (depending which one you get) so its great in low light. And on top of that its dirt cheap. I like it for portraits, But to be honest I prefer the 85 1.4 for those, but then again, its about 900 dollars more then the 50mm 1.8.

ok ok...thanks for the advice, I guess what I really need is someone to kindly point me in the direction of the nearest treasure map, cause I need some $$$.

But I want to turn this question more towards the 50mm (nifty fifty). What are the primary uses for this lens, is it primarily closeups/portraits?
When I was young and needed extra money I sold my plasma. Really.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back