Chopped Cornfield C&C

brianyi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
8930_1211266729153_1453304481_592085_1855968_n.jpg

Saw a lonely piece of wheat-type plant in a huge field. Thought this would be interesting in a sea of yellow.
The blurryness in the background is kind of daunting, but maybe nexttime I'll use a higher fstop.

Any remarks/improvement? I live very close to the location. I can have a second try if I wanted to.

I like the lone stalk in the foreground and the general composition of the image, but I do see a couple of areas for improvement. First and foremost, ALWAYS level your images in post. The slanting horizon makes this difficult to look at. Aside from that, I would suggest a greater DoF to render more of the foreground in focus, as well as some minor curves adjustments and perhaps a contrast/saturation tweak. For future consideration, look to using a polarizing filter to improve the cloud/sky contrast ratio, and perhaps using a graduated ND filter as well.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Quote: Originally Posted by tirediron
ALWAYS

Always?
Really?

I'd say 99% of the time. If it is REALLY obvious that the subject is on a hill (ie: the subject is vertical and the land slopes)...then I'd straighten the horizon. In the case of a landscape...yes...ALWAYS straighten. =)

Rules, rules, rules.
Unbending, set in stone.
Rubbish.

LOL...true...I'm particularly OCD about this one rule! I'd love to see something that works where the rule is broken?

Brianyi, I pretty much agree with tirediron's suggestions. It was a good catch on your part and you made good use of what you found.

I only disagree with the straightening of the horizon as an ALWAYS or even an 80 to 90% that the rule must be followed. It is not a must. It is all about what you want to present. If you took the shot and did not mind your frame and it was an error on your part maybe. But if the hill is there, gradual or not it, You must decide how you want it to look and following the way that "99%" choose is not always the best way to pick a winner.

Think of it this way, the more your image mimics everyone elses frame the more your shot has to be that much more perfect to win out over all the Joe Blow's "cookie cutter shot 101" technically speaking of course. Stir it up!

Rules, rules, rules.
Unbending, set in stone.
Rubbish.

I have to agree with Bitter Jeweler and Ansel on this one.

"The so-called rules of photographic composition are, in my opinion, invalid, irrelevant and immaterial" - Ansel Adams

I have plenty of OCD friends, including my girlfriend. I tend to ignore them when they get a little too anal for my liking.

Farrah ~ As for finding one that the specific rule we are discussing "works" for, that is pretty much subjective. What works for one may not work for another. And if you are the type that tends to discredit others work with replies concerning their level of expertise or lack there of, then a vote really won't work very well now either. So it's pretty much a mute point. (Not saying that you are Farrah, just saying if your were ;) )

i'd say take w/ higher aperture and shoot from farther away to get more DOF...

rules or no rules i think this one would be better if leveled...

Most reactions

Back