Chris of Arabia - are you ready? MOTW is back from its time off!

What is the name of your first love (may well have been in Primary School or so)?

Did you ever write a little note and had it passed underneath the classroom desks to your "chosen one" with the words "Wanna go out with me? Yes - No - Perhaps?"

So you like Ian Rankin? Which of his Inspector Rebus novels is your favourite? Do you remember?

OK, a couple more pics

My fridge

fridge.jpg

The washing machine whilst running

washingmachine.jpg

I rather like that one

What is the strangest dream you've ever had?

I tend not to remember dreams much, but I do recall a recurring nightmare from my childhood. It was of being on a bus with my Mum, my brother and sister. When we reached the bus stop, they all got off, but I never could. I've always interpreted that as being about missed opportunities.

What are some of your pet peeves?

Getting up in a morning - I'm not a morning person. Long distance travel, I don't mind being places, but hate getting there.

I like the washing machine one too :)

Did you have a special favorite toy when you were young?
What is your definition of art?
If you had to describe yourself with one adjective and one color what would they be and why?

What is the name of your first love (may well have been in Primary School or so)?

Anne Walters, her family was Irish. Yes it was at primary school.

Did you ever write a little note and had it passed underneath the classroom desks to your "chosen one" with the words "Wanna go out with me? Yes - No - Perhaps?"

Perhaps

So you like Ian Rankin? Which of his Inspector Rebus novels is your favourite? Do you remember?

Actually, I rather liked 'The Naming of the Dead' - the idea of him being involved in George Bush falling off his bike at Gleneagles tickled me rather.

If you could make a living out of either photography or playing guitar (or any other hobby) what would you choose?

If I thought I could do what Steve McCurry does, then it would be photography for sure. It seems to me that it would have more longevity to it. Somehow the idea of Jimmy Page getting back on stage at the age of 63 doesn't seem overly dignified. 100,000 tickets says I'm wrong though

What's your ideal job?

I always wanted to work as a recording engineer or record producer when I was at school, but the only way into it at the time was by starting off as tea boy as a studio, then graduating to tape op and up. Unfortunately, at the time the nearest studio was 40 miles away in Manchester (Strawberry Studios it was) and that may as well have been on the moon as far as I was concerned. When I was supposed to be doing my A Levels though I got a bit of a job 'humping & dumping' for the local concert promoter - that's basically unloaded the trucks and getting stuff onto the stage, then breaking it down afterwards. My first was Thin Lizzy, but also did Siouxie & the Banshees, The Buzzcocks, the Scorpions, John Miles, Hawkwind and a bunch of others, before my parents found out I had stopped going to school anymore. I was working on a building site days later and by mid-Aug 1979, was in the RAF becoming an Air Communications Technician.

I like the washing machine one too :)

The themed approach seems to be working reasonably well so far

Did you have a special favorite toy when you were young?

Probably my Action Man and assorted accessories - dressing up dolls for boys

What is your definition of art?

I don't know that I have one, the likes of Tracey Emmin and Damien Hurst seem to be somewhere on the edge of it though. I prefer Magritte, Degas, Dali and so on. But can equally appreciate Jackson Pollock or Antony Gormley - I still think the latter's Field to be one of the most stunning pieces of work that has been created. Warhol I find rather boring.

If you had to describe yourself with one adjective and one color what would they be and why?

Lazy - I have never given everything I have to anything I've ever done and probably never will

Grey - I can disappear from view in any situation

How long have you lived in Riyadh? Tell us a little about what it's like to live there...how hot does it get in summer, are there security concerns, what is ex-pat housing like (size etc), is it expensive to buy groceries? What are some of the overt signs of wealth that you might see there?

Tell us a funny joke
A cardiologist died and was given an elaborate funeral. A huge Heart covered in flowers stood behind the casket during the service.

Following the eulogy, the heart opened, and the casket rolled inside.

The heart then closed, sealing the doctor in the beautiful heart forever.

At that point, one of the mourners burst into laughter. When all eyes stared at him, he said, "I'm so sorry, I was just thinking of my ownfuneral.......I'm a gynaecologist."

How long have you lived in Riyadh?

It was exactly 8 years yesterday

Tell us a little about what it's like to live there...how hot does it get in summer, are there security concerns, what is ex-pat housing like (size etc), is it expensive to buy groceries?

The highest temperature I've ever seen was this summer, when I saw 52C on the thermometer.

There have been security concerns ever since the invasion of Iraq worked its way onto the agenda. Early 2003 saw one of my work colleagues being shot dead at a set of traffic lights, then came the suicide bombings, more shootings, kidnappings, beheadings and sieges. But things have settled down a good bit since then - mostly it's back to normal (for here), but it's worth making sure you know what you're doing and have a care for your own personal security.

Our housing is a decent size, certainly larger than what I have in the UK. The compound we're in now was only opened last December, so it's all quite new.

Groceries are reasonably priced if you stick to local produce, though it is rather seasonal. Imported food, especially tinned stuf can be expensive, but not many cold counters in the west can boast sheeps feet, camel shin, sheeps testicles, ostrich eggs, chicken feet, chicken gizzards or goats heads.

What are some of the overt signs of wealth that you might see there?

They are very big on expensive watch shops, designer clothing and big American cars. Nothing unusual to see lads in their early 20s driving Cadillacs, top of the range BMWs or Porsche's paid for with Daddy's money.

Oooooh, Fenton... eh? I went to that University just up the road from you (the real one, not the former poly).

Anyway... I have a question... what's that in your avatar? :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back