Christmas photos...need advise.

You are more than welcome to post your on camera flash made pictures in the critique section and we can discuss it there... I will be happy to comment in the proper section of the forum.

You posted photos that I don't think backed up your point.

I don't use an on camera flash anymore but here are some from when I did! Oh - even though the whole photo shoot took a while due to working with kids, the setup, breakdown and processing only took about 15 minutes tops :p

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90709 :thumbup: Simple creative lighting!

For strobe usage, I always look to Digital Matt - http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94132

I

I don't use an on camera flash anymore but here are some from when I did!
Not christmas tree topic releated, but nice. As you say... simple.
I use on camera flash now and then, but its never direct... bounced or angled and only if I don't really have a choice (which is not often).

For strobe usage, I always look to Digital Matt
Now that guy has some overall mad photography skills for sure!

I'm not saying that I know everything, but few can match my enthusiasm or desire to learn!

Here's a couple I took of my daughter the other night. You can clearly see how hard it is to try and light the tree and not overexpose your subject. I need to try and do this with more lights because this was an impromptu shot with a single speedlight shot into an umbrella.

Greg

2090304162_ddaa05c99c_o.jpg

2089517003_532779a500_o.jpg

Thank-you Trish1977.

Tarpleyg, VERY cute pics!
You can improve them a little with a few adjustments, if I may suggest?

- Increase aperture so that your entire subject is in focus, but not to the point that the rear is in focus... if that is your goal.

- Lower the umbrella and aim it more in such a way that light that falls out of it doesn't fall on the tree. This is difficult to do with an umbrella and one of the main reasons a softbox in many cases is better. If needed use a "gobo" to keep the light off the tree with a flash without the umbrella. You could also get an "L" bracket and get just a flash with a "gobo" above/beside your daughter and is turned down to the minimum that you need to get the shot.

- Your flash seems a little overpowering for the needs in the top pic, you could try placing it in manual mode and dialing it down 1-2 stops. This will in effect bring out the tree a little and at the same time cut down on that very little bit of overexposure you have on your daughter.

These are some really nice efforts if this is your first time!

I hope this helps you a little. :)

*additional info... just in case:
A "gobo" is short for "go between". It can be something as simple as a piece of paper taped or velcroed to the side of your flash that provides a very clear cut off area on one side. In this example, you want it to light your daughter and not the tree. The "gobo" makes that easily possible... and had I used it in my own pics, would not have placed a shadow of the tree on the curtains in the back of it. ;)

You also might want to try a darker blanket for the baby to sit on. All that white really blows out things and makes getting a decent exposure on the tree difficult.

Okay, the photo shoot was today and I think it went well. The indoor shots with the tree were okay at best, when we went outside, the real magic started...:lol::heart:

I will post up some pics later. Thanks for all of the help folks!

Thank-you Trish1977.

Tarpleyg, VERY cute pics!
You can improve them a little with a few adjustments, if I may suggest?

- Increase aperture so that your entire subject is in focus, but not to the point that the rear is in focus... if that is your goal.

- Lower the umbrella and aim it more in such a way that light that falls out of it doesn't fall on the tree. This is difficult to do with an umbrella and one of the main reasons a softbox in many cases is better. If needed use a "gobo" to keep the light off the tree with a flash without the umbrella. You could also get an "L" bracket and get just a flash with a "gobo" above/beside your daughter and is turned down to the minimum that you need to get the shot.

- Your flash seems a little overpowering for the needs in the top pic, you could try placing it in manual mode and dialing it down 1-2 stops. This will in effect bring out the tree a little and at the same time cut down on that very little bit of overexposure you have on your daughter.

These are some really nice efforts if this is your first time!
Thank you. Well, it was my first time with her in front of a tree but far from my first time. All good suggestions. This was a very impromptu deal and I refused to haul my pack and strobe heads down so I grabbed a Speedlight, stand, and umbrella.

I was doing this in an effort to learn to light with more portable strobes. Next time, I'll set the strobe(s) to manual and shoot away and forget about CLS.

I really have decided I do not like Nikon's CLS. It's too inconsistent. Both shots were using wireless CLS FWIW.

One major gripe I have with myself if the aperture I was shooting at as you noted. I was in a tight space, in a hurry (she was getting cranky), and dinner was ready (so I was cranky). I may end up moving all the furniture out of that room and redoing these or dragging the tree up to my studio and into a more controlled environment.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Greg

Next time, I'll set the strobe(s) to manual and shoot away and forget about CLS.

I really have decided I do not like Nikon's CLS. It's too inconsistent. Both shots were using wireless CLS FWIW.

I find CLS nice in places where I use the D200's onboard flash and a remote SB-800 in tandem, then I get ok results. A single off camera SB-800... I agree with you, it is very inconsistant. Manual settings rule, and if you have a camera like a D200. you can control the manual flash strength from the camera itself without needing to pull the strobe down from the stand each time you need to make a change.

... (she was getting cranky)
... (so I was cranky).

:lol: Food does that to people of all ages!

I may end up moving all the furniture out of that room and redoing these or dragging the tree up to my studio and into a more controlled environment.

Greg, another "option" would be to shoot in RAW and from it, make 2 pictures... one overexposed and one underexposed and try seeing what kind of an effect a basic HDR would work for you.

I recently took some outside pics that I underexposed on purpose. In the RAW pic I played with the CS3 exposure settings and came up with some interesting effects.

I used to think HDR = some unnatural colourations, but you can use it to salvage some pics or situations too!

You can use 1 RAW image for an HDR if you use Photomatix however I think it might add some noise - not sure though. This is an HDR I created using one image. I wanted to lighten up the shadow area on her face without blowing out the lit area. Although I kept it minimal, I think I used to high of a setting b/c her skin looks a little plastic.

ToniHermann.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back