Christmas Present

swiminjane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I think I am going to buy myself a new camera as a Christmas present this year. What camera should I buy? Any recommendations?

Jane, this is a very open-ended question. How about giving us some idea what you like to shoot, what budget you have in mind, how serious you are about your photography,etc. etc. so we can help. For example, cameras run from cheap point&shoots to very expensive medium formats with digital backs ... that's a big range!

I'm still a newb, but from several hours I've spent here reading this forum as well as researching elsewhere on the internet I can tell u that your choices are unlimited. Your main focus should be lenses and that's probably what everyone here will tell u as well. As far as the camera body it's all about what you're comfortable with brand wise, how the camera fits in your hands comfortably, crop camera or full frame, what you want to shoot, your budget, etc....Many variables come into play.

My advice is to go to your local camera store look around and see what you like and then do your research here or elsewhere on the internet. People here can give u all of the information you need about a certain camera but it's up to you to choose what is best for u.. I've been researching for 3 months and still haven't decided lol. Good luck!

whats ur budget??????
what do you shoot typically????
you can't asked such an open ended question, like I got my license what car should i get?

Order a Canon 1D Mark IV. Very nice. :)

But more seriously, I think you're not quite sure about what the range of cameras are - they range from less than a hundred to even $13,000~. And that's not including cameras like Hassies. Or lenses like the 1200mm Canon EF, which is approx $120,000 and is rare.

Nikon D3s with the following lenses:

Nikon 14-24 f/2.8
Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8

Might also want to grab a few SB-900 Speedlights while you're at it.

That should at least get you started...

Most reactions

Back