Chrysanthemum

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The golf course landscape lady gave me a a few awesome flowers to photograph.

I tried a different background per @Tim Tucker recommendation. Not sure if it is better than black or not. I like them either way.

DSC_8665bw.JPG

That's not quite what I meant. Look at the histogram here:

jc-histo.jpg

You see the background is still mainly dead featureless black, the maximum the base screen colour will allow. But it's still only the base screen colour and not black. So if someone is looking at the image with a screen that has a base colour that's slightly lighter than your's then what difference do they see? None really because you're just scaling the tones into the range available in the display medium, everyone will see this as black even if it is not as black as the black you see on your screen (which is not black either but just the base colour of your screen).

So allowing that viewers will perceive the darkest tone as black even when it is lighter than you see do you really think that the black you achieve on your image is in any way absolute? If not then why reduce it to a level where it can't display any hint of texture? If you reduce the luminosity to zero then there is no texture and that part of the image then becomes subtly different to the rest that does display texture. Now given that some other viewer sees a lighter black in the same way you see your black would there not be some lee-way in tone rather than thinking of black as absolute, (which it clearly isn't, it's just the base colour of the screen)?

Then would not a lighter black look the same as your other viewer's black, but still be light enough to hold a little texture?

Here is a histogram of one of my images:

tt-histo.jpg

Posted here:

New toy

Now admittedly I could make it more black and that there is a noticeable variation in the black, but do you not see the top left background as black? And do you not also see in the bottom right a deeper black against this black background? Black is relative and within reason is really only the darkest tone you show. If you post a reply look closely at the "Post Reply" and other buttons because they're actually 22% brightness, well off zero. What I'm trying to say is that the web site is designed not to compete against your images by showing a deep 'absolute' black. Anything you post lower than that will look 'more black' while still holding a hint of tone and texture.

Black (as is everything in an image) is not absolute, use it to your advantage, (while also going for the prize of the maximum use of the word 'black" in a post). :confused:

Last edited:
i'm confused.... you are too smart for me. I will just do it like the idiot that I am. I thought these were good. Every f**** time I try to do something, someone one here says it's wrong. I have not a clue other than not posting anything on here because it confused the crap out of me. I am seriously considering not posting here anymore. It is not productive in my artistic journey.

I like it jc, but I'm not an expert. I'm just as confused as you are about the explanation [emoji57]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I, surprisingly, understood the basis of what Tim said. At some point as you develop your skills, a light will come on and you get a wry smile and think "Ahhhhh, so that was what Tim was talking about."

BTW- I like your image, I would have made some contrast changes, via hand tools (burn/dodge) but the difference most likely would not be significant.

Last edited:
Ooo. Pretty skank-flower. :icon_mrgreen:

I, surprisingly, understood the basis of what Tim said. At some point as you develop your skills, a light will come on and you get a wry smile and think "Ahhhhh, so that was what Time was talking about."

BTW- I like your image, I would have made some contrast changes, via hand tools (burn/dodge) but the difference most likely would not be significant.
I understood what he said, he elaborated more this time which confused me. Doesn't matter, I hired a coach and I am starting with him in a couple weeks. He said he wouldn't yell at me.

Last edited:
Your the top poster this month and considering not posting any more. I believe its called burn out.
Take it easy a bit.

Its a nice photo I really like it.

Your the top poster this month and considering not posting any more. I believe its called burn out.
Take it easy a bit.

Its a nice photo I really like it.

I am the top poster? I did not know that... You are probably right.

I wish I could afford a coach, hope it works out well.

I wish I could afford a coach, hope it works out well.

It should. My mentor who moved away recommended him. He is charging me $25 per hour which I think is very reasonable. He already sent me a 4 hour itinerary.

I, surprisingly, understood the basis of what Tim said. At some point as you develop your skills, a light will come on and you get a wry smile and think "Ahhhhh, so that was what Time was talking about."

I understood what he said, he elaborated more this time which confused me. Doesn't matter, I hired a coach and I am starting with him in a couple weeks. He said he wouldn't yell at me.
What good it that if he doesn't yell at you. All my coaches yelled at me ... "Ayala, take a lap!" (To this day, whenever I run, I wonder what did I do this time to screw up".

What good it that if he doesn't yell at you. All my coaches yelled at me ... "Ayala, take a lap!" (To this day, whenever I run, I wonder what did I do this time to screw up".
True. He hasn't worked with me yet.

Most reactions

Back