HerneChurchHiddenGraves2Ghostly.jpg

ChurchEntrance.jpg

12.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

TheParishChurchofStNicholas1.jpg

StMaryLittleChart1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing these photos. The craftmanship in the church is beautiful. We don't have churches and graveyards that old where I live. These photos remind me of what I had seen while visiting England.

#2. and #8. are some rad photos.

Fantastic! I really enjoyed this series. As Mooiemeisie said, we don't tend to have churches that old here (and from the style of pew in that first shot, this looks to be a very old church). Shots 2 and 3 have such great 'mood' to them. And I love the light/shadows in shot 7

(Helpful tip: When you post more than 4 pics, it's helpful to actually number them for the ease of the viewer to comment on specific shots)

I spent like 5 minutes looking at 2, not sure what it is about it but it draws me in. Great photos.

Sorry about the numbering , i do know i should put numbers in i should be bloody used to it by now but i go and forget LOL.

Glad you all like the photo's

About Number 2 , i was actually contacted by an editor of a heavy metal mag in the states . They asked if they could use my image with reference to the photographer. I said yes ;)

2806658764_fbf9c45057_b.jpg

An imposing landmark, the twin 12th-century towers of the ruined church stand amid the remains of an important Roman 'Saxon Shore' fort and a Saxon monastery.
2656423370_35c44d2620_o.jpg

The tombstone of Lt. Sydenham Snow is
in Herne Church Yard against the wall
of the west tower.
Lt Snow was shot by on the beach
near the Ship Inn, while trying to
apprehend the North Kent Gang of
smugglers who were unloading a boat
on the beach near the Ship Inn, Herne
Bay in the small hours of Easter
Monday, 1821.

2388145112_23a33961c3_o.jpg

This study explores the medieval history of St Mary’s church, Patrixbourne (Plate I), including the development of the fabric, its decoration, its patronage and its links with Normandy. The wealth of Romanesque decoration on its south door and at the east end, together with the siting of the tower mid-way along the narrow south aisle, make it an unusual monument and one that merits attention. It would have been particularly helpful if the nineteenth- century restorers and the builders of the north aisle had recorded what they found before they started their work. Sadly, this is not the case.
The first questions are why such an important monument was built in a small village in the first place, at whose instigation and who might have paid for it. Documentary evidence is limited in the extreme. It is known that the church was given to a priory near Rouen around 1200 and that it seems to have been complete at that time.1 The church was sold to Merton Priory in Surrey during the Hundred Years’ War, but surviving records provide only scant additional information. Concerning its earliest phases there is only silence. It seems that Patrixbourne was never a dependency of Christ Church, Canterbury or of St Augustine’s Abbey, despite its proximity. This then raises the issues of the exact date of the fabric, the sequence of building, and whether the decoration is contemporary with the building.

The surviving medieval work is concentrated into two phases; the first as carried out in the twelfth century, and the second in the fifteenth. Exact dates are, however, elusive: the only direct evidence is the fabric itself. The presence of Caen stone indicates post Conquest work and the decoration of the south door provides opportunities for comparison with other Romanesque sculpture and other media in England which have been explored by previous commentators such as Kahn. However, the very unusual position of the tower and the wheel window at the east end immediately presents difficulties in finding parallels.

Wow, really great series.

3, 7, & 9 are my favorites. 7 looks like it may be leaning to the right 1 or 2 degrees...it's hard to tell. They're all good, but those are the three that really jumped out to me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back