church door in a gentle snowfall

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i can't decide if i wasted my time with this. i was driving around today, snow still falling, and this door looked kinda cool. now i'm not so sure. any opinions?
churchdoor_copy.jpg

Good shot! I have battled that question myself. I think it works in this photo because of the snow movement. Gentle snow fall fails when the snow looks like dust specks.

Cool shot! I'm not sure how I feel about the snow yet, but I can see why you took the picture. That door has loads of possibilities. I'd probably be back there several times trying out a bunch of different shots from various angles and positions.

g'evenin' matie!

love the photo, unfortunately my eyes are drawn to the top and its a bit cut off. The handrails beautifully frame this, but unfortunately they lead to an upward motion and top of the arch is missing :(

I love the snow on this!, this would look choice in b&w too! The snow gives it a painterly feeling. Excellent texture on the doorway there. Did you use a tripod on this, what are the specs?

Would agree with mark here, go out and take some more shots! It definately warrants it!

I agree with everyone about wanting the top of the arch there...that would sort of complete the look to me.

I'll go against the grain though, and say that I'd clone out the handrails. This doorway, especially with those heavy wooden doors, just gives me an almost medieval feel, like this is the entrance to some fortified abbey in 1300s England (okay so I read way too much into things sometimes). Anyway, that look is totally disrupted to me by those modern handrails. I think if the arch were complete, you wouldn't need the handrails to lead you upwards through the photo...the arch would accomplish that on its own.

hi all- thanks for the feedback. i also had trouble with the chopped arch, but i did it for a reason. when i get home today i'll edit that shot to include the top of the arch and you'll see why i cut it. i'd be interested to see which version people think is the better.... :)

I'd like to see both images, too. I agree this is one compelling door, and I absolutely love the snowfall here.... but I can't help but wish you'd have taken a few steps back...I'm curious about the other crop now!

I like this composition with the arch going out of the top of the photo; it fills the frame fully, and makes the door look larger. I might like it with the top of the arch too, but I don't see anything wrong with this composition.

I really like the falling snow. I think it adds a lot of excitement to this photo. By itself I don't think the door would do much for me.

There's a lot of great texture in this image.

I like it. The colors are rich but subdued at the same time. I would also like to see the rails gone. Then it could be anytime in the last 1000 years.

Lets see a version with the top of the arch included and see what the problem is.

ok, finally found time to do something for me, for once.

so, here's the church door re-cropped, but also with different color correction. your thoughts?

door2.jpg

That a pretty color on the stone but I agree, I like the first one better. Mabe a tiny nudge toward a warmer color would work but this is too much I think.

I would still like to see the effect of no handrails.

I like the stonework in the 2nd, but the snow gets lost a bit more. Perhaps playing with the levels a bit to brighten it and/or bring that snow back? Also, as someone else said, those triangles of light are distracting. I'd go nuts with the clone tool and make m'self a whole wall. :-D

And I still say those handrails gotta go. It'd look way medieval w/o them. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back