church door in a gentle snowfall

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Osmer_Toby, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby TPF Noob!

i can't decide if i wasted my time with this. i was driving around today, snow still falling, and this door looked kinda cool. now i'm not so sure. any opinions?
    [​IMG]

2. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Good shot! I have battled that question myself. I think it works in this photo because of the snow movement. Gentle snow fall fails when the snow looks like dust specks.

3. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cool shot! I'm not sure how I feel about the snow yet, but I can see why you took the picture. That door has loads of possibilities. I'd probably be back there several times trying out a bunch of different shots from various angles and positions.

4. karissa

karissa The Untitled

Photos OK to edit
    I like how much the handrails add to the composition.

5. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Photos NOT OK to edit
    g'evenin' matie!

love the photo, unfortunately my eyes are drawn to the top and its a bit cut off. The handrails beautifully frame this, but unfortunately they lead to an upward motion and top of the arch is missing :(

I love the snow on this!, this would look choice in b&w too! The snow gives it a painterly feeling. Excellent texture on the doorway there. Did you use a tripod on this, what are the specs?

Would agree with mark here, go out and take some more shots! It definately warrants it!

6. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

I agree with everyone about wanting the top of the arch there...that would sort of complete the look to me.

I'll go against the grain though, and say that I'd clone out the handrails. This doorway, especially with those heavy wooden doors, just gives me an almost medieval feel, like this is the entrance to some fortified abbey in 1300s England (okay so I read way too much into things sometimes). Anyway, that look is totally disrupted to me by those modern handrails. I think if the arch were complete, you wouldn't need the handrails to lead you upwards through the photo...the arch would accomplish that on its own.

7. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby TPF Noob!

hi all- thanks for the feedback. i also had trouble with the chopped arch, but i did it for a reason. when i get home today i'll edit that shot to include the top of the arch and you'll see why i cut it. i'd be interested to see which version people think is the better.... :)

8. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd like to see both images, too. I agree this is one compelling door, and I absolutely love the snowfall here.... but I can't help but wish you'd have taken a few steps back...I'm curious about the other crop now!

9. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like this composition with the arch going out of the top of the photo; it fills the frame fully, and makes the door look larger. I might like it with the top of the arch too, but I don't see anything wrong with this composition.

I really like the falling snow. I think it adds a lot of excitement to this photo. By itself I don't think the door would do much for me.

There's a lot of great texture in this image.

10. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

I like it. The colors are rich but subdued at the same time. I would also like to see the rails gone. Then it could be anytime in the last 1000 years.

Lets see a version with the top of the arch included and see what the problem is.

11. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby TPF Noob!

ok, finally found time to do something for me, for once.

so, here's the church door re-cropped, but also with different color correction. your thoughts?

[​IMG]

12. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the first one. The added warmth has melted the snow.