Church with an Amazing Story

I search and found the name of the church is "Slovak Catholic Church" After search the name "Slovak Catholic Church" in google, I found more photos of the church ... massive!!

awesome! i tried googleing and couldnt find anything! but now I know what to search

Great shot. Wow, that thing is pretty huge eh? I'm looking at the lights and comparing them to the door (entrance). Amazing!!

yea, you can also tell the size by looking at the doors.. they were quite massive around 9' high I believe, but they look like specs in comparison to the building

UPDATE: I've found the actual story of this building.. the one I told was one that one of the locals told me.. heres what I found:

One of Canada’s most architecturally impressive and ambitious cathedrals is no longer a cathedral. Bishop John Pazak, spiritual head of Byzantine rite Slovak Catholics in Canada, has removed the blessed sacrament and the antimension, or altar stone, from the Cathedral of the Transfiguration, a giant gold-domed church on the edge of Unionville, north of Toronto.

The bishop has also suspended permission for any of his priests to celebrate Mass in the former cathedral and asked the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Toronto not to extend permission to Roman rite priests to celebrate Mass there.
Bishop Pazak said he was unable to arrive at a stable, sustainable working relationship with the Slovak Greek Catholic Church Foundation, which owns the property. The foundation is the creation of Stephen Roman, the mining magnate who built the church on his cattle ranch before he died in 1988.
“I saw no way of going on unless we can come to some resolution,” Bishop Pazak told The Catholic Register. “Maybe we will, still. I haven’t closed the door, but I want something comprehensive.”
Bishop Pazak said the ball is in the foundation’s court and he hoped the two sides could work out a permanent solution in the next year. In the meantime, the cathedral for the Slovak Eparchy of Sts. Cyril and Methodius Canada is St. Mary’s Byzantine Slovak Church on Shaw Street on Toronto’s downtown west side. The modest, wood-frame St. Mary’s was the Slovak cathedral before the Cathedral of the Transfiguration opened.
The still unfinished Cathedral of the Transfiguration was Roman’s personal obsession in his final years. He began building the 20-storey-high building on his cattle farm in the early 1980s with the intention of passing it on as his legacy to the Slovak Byzantine-rite Catholic Church.
Roman’s sudden death in 1988 left the cathedral in the hands of his heirs, principally Helen Roman-Barber, who sit on the board of the foundation which owns the church.
The barely completed foundations of the building were blessed by Pope John Paul II while he visited Canada in 1984, making the one-time seat of the eparchy the only cathedral in Canada to be blessed by a pope.
It is also the only Cathedral in Canada not owned by its bishop, or in effect by the diocese it represents.
Since Roman’s death the cathedral has become the centerpiece of a 1,200-home subdivision named Cathedraltown, planned by Helen Roman-Barber. Pazak has been seeking ways of extricating the religious function of the cathedral from the Cathedraltown business plan. Foundation spokesman Ed Shiller said he didn’t believe the withdrawal of the bishop changed the Cathedral of the Transfiguration’s status as a cathedral.
“The cathedral will continue as a cathedral. Cathedraltown will develop around it,” said Shiller. “It was dedicated by Pope John Paul II, and it will continue to be a cathedral.”
But no church can be a cathedral if it’s not the seat of a bishop, said Bishop Pazak.
Roman had a close relationship with the first eparch of the Slovaks in Canada, Bishop Michael Rusnak. Since the elder Roman died and uranium prices sank through the 1990s, progress on finishing the inside of the cathedral has been slow. Shiller claims it will take another 10 years to complete the building.
“It’s a rough timetable of course, because there are so many variables,” he said. “But there are definitely plans to complete the cathedral.”
Shiller would not say why the cathedral can’t be transferred to the Slovak eparchy right away. “There are certain issues that are being worked out. When this is resolved I’m sure that all of Steve Roman’s wishes will be fulfilled. It’s certainly our intent to do that, to fulfil whatever his wishes were,” Shiller said.
Shiller also works in corporate public relations for Dennison Mines Inc. and Roman Corp. For years the tiny Slovak Catholic community of between 5,000 and 10,000 in all of Canada has struggled to live up to the enormous scale of the Cathedral of the Transfiguration – which features among other things the second largest peel of bells in the world and a mosaic of approximately five million pieces.
Though most live in the greater Toronto area, few Canadian Slovaks lived anywhere near the giant cathedral and getting there was never easy.
“It’s got a beautiful site location and everything, but unfortunately many of our people don’t live in this area,” said Bishop Pazak.
For now, the congregation which had slowly built up at the cathedral over the last decade is meeting for Mass at St. Volodymyr the Great Ukrainian Catholic Church in Thornhill, or have gone back to the St. Mary’s downtown. There are prayer groups that meet at the abandoned cathedral for non-liturgical prayer, and the foundation has hosted concerts in the building.
Bishop Pazak said the cathedral was a situation he inherited when he became bishop in 2001.

SOURCE: The Catholic Register: Giant Slovak cathedral, blessed by pope, stripped of status in dispute - Catholic Online

just recently i was driving through Markham and came across this church and def. its a great architectural design. hopefully next time I'm in the area I'll have my camera with me so I can stop and take some pictures.

so I was driving through Markham Ontario last week, and stumbled across this church... it was huge, with a huge driveway, huge EVERYTHING, but there were no windows.. I had to find out what it was all about.

Here's what I was told:

A man moved to Markham from Italy 70 years ago, and had a dream, to build this immaculate church, he was not funded by a diocese, or any other churches, it was all on his own money. He worked on this church for 50 years, and just this past year, he died. Now the church lies there, empty, and unfinished, and it doesnt appear as though his family is going to finish it, because in order for it to be completed, its going to cost another 50 Million (thats right million) dollars, just to complete it to the specs he wanted to make.

Anyway, its not the greatest photo in the world, but, here it is:

I wish now, that I had more time to shoot it, but I was on my way to a meeting when I found it... to give you an idea of how big it is, I was standing about 1000 feet away from it.
The story that you were told is untrue. The church is the Slovak Catholic Church of the Transfiguration. It belongs to the Byzantine Rite of the Roman Catholic Church.

The story that you were told is untrue. The church is the Slovak Catholic Church of the Transfiguration. It belongs to the Byzantine Rite of the Roman Catholic Church.

and if you werent so quick to post, you would have read through that I posted the true story, and stated that the story I posted is what I was told.. read before you try to call someone out..

and if you werent so quick to post, you would have read through that I posted the true story, and stated that the story I posted is what I was told.. read before you try to call someone out..
Don't be so sensitive. I didn't "call someone out." I merely stated that the "story that you were told is untrue."

:p i can't drive... it's quite the commute. the york region transit is horribly confusing and it's really inconvenient.

Slovak Catholic Church, eh? good info Dao :] i shall check it out next time i'm there.

I search and found the name of the church is "Slovak Catholic Church" After search the name "Slovak Catholic Church" in google, I found more photos of the church ... massive!!

Next time if I am up there, I need to go there as well. (at least 13 hours drive from where I am)

I was sure it was slavic in origin, just by the colours and design (I am Czech myself, so I have a good feel for things of that culture).

I'll definitely make the side trip to see that place the next time I am anywhere within 100 miles of this place.

Oh, BTW, if it is gold, it is always 24 carat gold, but very thin. 24 carat gold is very soft and malleable, hence why that is used. It could also be 24 carat gold leaf paint... something that the Czechs made famous for using on oil painting frames for hundreds of years now.

Is that place open to the public at all?

Is that place open to the public at all?

I would guess no, because its under construction, so it's likely dangerous.. however, it looks like you could "jack bauer" your way in..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back