Church

tb2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The church of St Michael at Kirkham, Lancashire, had suffered wind damage to the top of its spire a few days before I took this photograph - hence the scaffolding. The bright sun gave a contrasty, look to the shot, and highlighted every detail, so I thought I'd emphasise this further in sepia.

Tony

For more info go to: http://photoquoto.blogspot.com

Kirkham-St-Michael.jpg

The sepia works well for this one. It is highly unusual around here to have the cemetery right by the church, so this one appeals to me as what my mind's eye sees when I think of what an old cemetery should look like. The shadows and dark, tilted headstones really add to the moodiness of the shot.

Yes the sepia works very well with this shot! I like this very much!!

Thanks for the comments on this one. I've done plenty of B&W shots, but this is the first sepia image I've posted. I'm glad to get positive feedback on the colour.

Regards, Tony

Oh, is it really the first sepia toned photo you have posted, Tony?
I did not realise that.
But it sure fits the photo!
And the church with the cemetery RIGHT next to it is the normal case in Britain, isn't it?

Thanks for the comment Corinna. Yes, the first sepia, though I have posted a couple of aginst-the-light shots that look like sepia. Most old English churches in towns and villages are surrounded by a graveyard, and many older city churches are too, though the practice started to die out (!) in the nineteenth century - there just wasn't enough room!

Regards, Tony

But the good thing about those old graveyards is that they are still there! And they therefore look more more "romantic" than our modern ones. You really have to travel to the big cities to still find stone angels, real crosses or anything like that ... in the small places it is all modern and new (much unlike the UK!).

Most reactions

Back