Cincy Zoo critique photos

catweh00

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently purchased a pass to the zoo. I took these 2 pics and I was wondering what I need to do to clean them up/take better pics in the future. Everything was taken in manual mode. I used a 300mm f/4.5 manual focus AI lens on my d70. Shutterspeed was around 640-800 or so, and the pictures were taken handheld. Aperture was set wide open.
Any tips for going to the zoo?--I already purchased a monopod. I have a tripod but I didn't feel like lugging it around.

Any wildlife tips would help immensely.
Thanks for looking!
17704340_img.jpg

17704339_img.jpg

Great shot! I wouldn't change anything, but I would have been tempted to crop the right border a little closer (just for curiosity

I like em. Im also biased about the tight crop though, I do that to almost everything.
BTW, these with your new lens?? looks like good glass to me, so nope.... not a rip off. :wink:
Toni

Yes, these are with my new lens. I love manual focus lenses now! They are so smooth to operate, and dirt cheap! This nikon 300mm f/4.5 was in mint, never used condition, and it shows.

What's USM? Sorry, Im kinda new. I tend not to sharpen photos because I am worried that sharpening in photoshop will leave some bad effects. I suppose if I do it just the right amount, no one would notice?

I also grabbed a nikon MF 180 f/2.8 for wildlife shots. I highly recommend this lens, because on a d70, the crop factor really brings the subject in more. I know its just a crop, but its nice to frame it as such in the window.

Thx for your comments.
Craig

I like the shots. Definitely shoot in the morning or evening for the activity and light. My biggest tip is Lug that tripod around.

I think everyone else has summed it up about the composition and cropping issues, but if you were to sharpen up in ps you could always undo if you were'nt happy with it, but not a bad focus job anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back