Cinnamon & Melted Butter for C&C (BESP)

pharmakon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a late admit into Bitter's evil school of photography. The following is my catch up on assignment #1, a beverage shot, using rule of thirds.

The goal of the shoot was to present the beverage in an appealing way, that would make the viewer want to drink it. In my photo I chose to feature a cup of coffee within a breakfast theme. I wanted to keep the image clean, generic enough to be suitable for stock, but still appealing and able to keep a viewer's attention. I felt that the circular pattern of the placemat went well with the other round objects in the shot, and the green color broke up the beiges and browns in the rest of the scene. I also kept the lens as wide as possible and got in close to try to exaggerate the size of the coffee cup via perspective distortion.

The photo was shot on a tripod at 1/5 second, F/10, 28mm, ISO 100. (28-135mm lens as listed in sig)
The photo was lit via pulling the table right up to a north facing window, and placing 2 reflectors for fill opposite the window.

4424888248_07101699b5.jpg

And my runner up: an alternate angle and smaller DOF. The DOF draws more attention to the coffee, but I think the bright flower spoiled it.

Handheld, 1/80sec @ f6.3, 28mm, iso640
4424066267_1552b40db4.jpg

Your C&C is greatly appreciated.

Love shot #1! I could completely see it in a home and living genre magazine. For shot #2, I think it's in a weird DOF middle ground. I would prefer to see it with more or less.

i usually place a flower on my plate when i have toast .... its not the same without!

I love the first one. I've seen a few shots here on the same assignment (is it from here? Could you post a link to it so that I might try my hand at an assignment?) Well anyway, I like this shot better than all the others I've seen so far.

The point was to make someone crave the drink and this is the only shot I've seen that creates desire for the beverage. Someone even said so above!

Great job.

Edit: I just noticed that cutting out part of the toast and plate put more focus on the coffee, and the DoF on the 2nd pic isn't as effective IMO.

Aesthetically, it's excellent; complementary colours with a clean presentation...

A well-planned arrangement and the good balance of light makes for a technically and artistically intriguing photo.

Well done. :thumbup:

Awsome composition! I'm just going to comment on #1. I love the cirucular pattern and the use of lines here pointing towards the cup.... the butter dabs creating a line, the knife, the circle pattern, the mug handle. The colors compliment each other and nothing is distracting. The way you composed the toast partially cropped out gives the main attention to the drink. The only thing I might bring up is I wonder if it would look better if the cup handle wasn't clipped off?

Thanks for all the comments! I think this is the most positive feedback I have ever gotten on TPF. And I don't think it's a coincedence that it was probably the most thought/effort I have ever put into a single photo before.

Bazooka, Here is the original before I rotated and squared it off with the crop. Keeping the handle in the frame.
4424063171_b183d00cfa.jpg

I do like the square version better. The uncropped takes some of the dominance away from the drink.

I just looked at it a bit more and I think I realized why it seems a bit off to me. The shot is so clean and crisp, I really feel like I'm looking down on breakfast. The problem is, the handle of the cup is facing away from me so I can't grab it unless I cock my wrist around.

The problem is, the handle of the cup is facing away from me so I can't grab it unless I cock my wrist around.

Agreed! I was about to drink it but I couldn't find the handle. I think that is the only comment that I have.

Other than that, I like the composition of the elements, I like the contrast of the colors, the natural lighting used for a breakfast drink is perfect, and the photo is really in focus and crisp.

I agree with everyone else...#1 is great. I didnt even notice the handle facing away until it was mentioned. I definately like the square crop better. The drink as well as the toast makes me want to sit down and enjoy! I really dont see anything negative about this one.
#2 is pretty good..but doesnt have the same feel. Too much table at the top and glare at the handle.

Now that you mentioned it I see what you mean by the handle being out of place.

Pete, thanks for the idea for #2. I messed with it some and it does look better to me with the crop you suggested, but I think I still like the other shot better. It might be the missing patch of milk froth, or the missing cup rim (in camera crop cut that one off - can't bring it back), but I can't seem to make it just right.

How much PP did you do with this, just seems very natural and very well lit

Most reactions

New Topics

Back