Circ Polarizing Filter Advice

GeorgeUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbmwforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently purchased a Kenko Circular PL filter and have been giving it a bit of a test run today.

I have to admit however, that I'm not hugely impressed with the effect it has. There's a slight difference, but not hugely.

Could it be that I'm simply using it badly, or perhaps it just simply not a v good filter?

Any hints/tips on how to maximise the benefit??

I tried to take photos with the sun at 90 degrees to me.

When will the effect be most pronounced? Morning/Midday/Evenings?

Any advice much appreciated. :thumbup:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
IMHO, the biggest variable is the particular shot you're taking. The polarizing filter cuts polarized light, some reflections, and that's it. I find I rarely use mine. Some plants have highly reflective surfaces and it reduces the glare from those. I don't use mine often.

well, the effect is best if the sun is at a 90-ish degree angle to the direction your camera points into.

if the sun is in your back or in front of you it is rather useless.

it has its value when you do landscape work (green leaves, sky), or reflective surfaces like glass or water ... then you can filter out the reflection and better look through the glass.

I personally do not use it too often, but if i use it, i could hardly do without it in that particular situation.

are you turning it and watching for the sky to turn darker then taking the photo?

are you turning it and watching for the sky to turn darker then taking the photo?

Yes! :p

I took multiple with the filter in various states of 'turn'. There is a noticeable difference, but not as significant as I was expecting.

IMG_6672_DxO_RAWyello.jpg
I use mine alot because I find myself shooting midday. I have only had mine for a week but it seems to have the best results afternoon and before evening. I spent nearly $100 on mine.

lake2.jpg

IMG_6660_DxO_RAW.jpg

Great shots! :thumbup: I suppose it's a case of you get what you pay for!

I'll keep trying and see how I get along.

I have a nicer multicoated Hoya filter for my 49mm Pentax lenses that works great. I recently bought a non-coated, (cheap) Tiffen 52mm for my Nikon lenses and the difference is night and day.. the non-coated one barely does anything at all in comparison. I think in this case, you do indeed, get what you pay for. I plan to get a new polarizer for my Nikons..

Look at a car in the sun at 4:00 P.M. and turn it. the reflections will "shift" all around the different angled surfaces of the car. Great automotive photography tool for controlling what gets reflected and what doesn't.

@ bhop - I suspect you are right. I'll have to save up some £££

@ DSLR - I'll give it a go, thanks.

There are many different qualities of polarizing foil available. It's almost impossible to produce foil that behaves perfectly. There's a tendency for the foil to reduce light in the polarization direction it is supposed to be passing, and to not reduce enough of the light it is supposed to be stopping. The degree of effect varies across the spectrum. The layer that converts the linearly polarized light into circularly polarized light isn't completely effective.

Hopefully the more you pay, the better quality foil you get.

Best,
Helen

There are many different qualities of polarizing foil available. It's almost impossible to produce foil that behaves perfectly. There's a tendency for the foil to reduce light in the polarization direction it is supposed to be passing, and to not reduce enough of the light it is supposed to be stopping. The degree of effect varies across the spectrum. The layer that converts the linearly polarized light into circularly polarized light isn't completely effective.

Hopefully the more you pay, the better quality foil you get.

Best,
Helen

Boy I hope your right Helen, I just forked out $175 for my B+W Circular Polarizer for my L lenses. Figured your lens is only as good as the cheapest piece of glass so why bother putting a $30 generic on a $1K lens.

I thought circular polarized filters did not need to be turned. Are they not designed specificly to work with lenses that rotate durring zooming and focusing?

I don't have intention to have the CP filter at the moment, but I checked the prices online from ebay to retailers as well as the local shops. It seem it very expensive filter, is this real?

At quick glance the pictures look so darkly impressive.

Is it normal practice for the landscape professional photographers to use this filter for their paid works.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back