Circle vs. Oval reflectors

Shooting people inside. I am going to buy circles for outside, but wan wondering if oval is better for inside.

The shape of it usually doesn't matter much at all. It's the size that is a bigger concern...and for the most part, bigger is better...up until the point that it becomes to unwieldy to use.

It's not a vs type issue.

Use the shape that is closest to the shape of your subject. For instance, to make 3/4 and full shots of people rectangular works best.

Consequently, you would likely want to have several shapes and sizes from round to rectangular.

It's hip to be square.

lol, I love the interwebs.

I was looking at the 5 in 1 circles for a must have to carry with me for various reasons, but I also liked the large oval, I think 60x40 for shooting people...in my head I was thinking that one would be better for someone standing up for a full body...or laying down for full body.

I've used the large oval/rectangular reflector. Well, actually it's a diffusion panel but can be a reflector as well. It gives great light, but it's a b!tch to use outdoors in any sort of wind. It pretty much takes two people (not counting the photographer or the model) to hold in many situations.

The 5-in-1 units are great...mostly because the base layer is a diffusion screen. That's what I've found to be some of the best quality lighting...holding a large diffusion screen between the subjects and the sun.

Most reactions

Back