circular polarizer

Andrea K

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
im interested in getting a circular polarizer for my camera. the only question i have is that my lens focuses externally (the end of the lens physically rotates to focus rather than some internal focus lenses) so would the circular polarizer work correctly on a lens that rotates or does it not matter? will the effect of the filter be altered if it is slighty turned?

thanks, i hope i clarified that

I guess you just need to adjust the polarizer after having focused.

I believe panocho is right. Most polarizers let you adjust the angle of the polarization, so while you will be able to use it with your lens just fine, it will be quite a pain since you have to readjust it each time you change focus.

Yep - I use a circular polarising filter on my F3's lenses for those lovely cloudy moments. The general trick is to find an area which has either glare, or detail such as a cloud. When you have composed your shot, twiddle carefully and note the increase and decrease in the detail. When it's right, the image appears a smidgen darker and the details come out a bit more. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you'll get the hand of it in no time.

Most reactions

Back