Circular Polarizing Filter.

timethief

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.x5.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
On which of your lenses do you like using your polarizing filters and why ?

Its not so much what lens but what setting...when shooting outside I generally always have one on. When shooting inside it needs to come off.

well if you have polarizers for all your lenses i agree.

Actually my CPOL fits all my lenses. As I bought the best (what I felt was the best) CPOL that fit my largest filter size. And then bought adapters to fit it to my smaller lenses.

As for use, like above on most of the time outside in daylight when shooting scenics. Off at night and inside.

Actually my CPOL fits all my lenses. As I bought the best (what I felt was the best) CPOL that fit my largest filter size. And then bought adapters to fit it to my smaller lenses.

As for use, like above on most of the time outside in daylight when shooting scenics. Off at night and inside.

How does that effect your aperture? I can't see how using the same filter on a 58mm f/4 lens would work just as well on a 72mm f/2.8 lens.
Not saying it wont, just need education on it I guess.

How does that effect your aperture? I can't see how using the same filter on a 58mm f/4 lens would work just as well on a 72mm f/2.8 lens.
Not saying it wont, just need education on it I guess.

Well if he has a 58mm f/4 lens and a 72mm f2.8(assume this is the largest he has), then all of his filters are 72mm in size and he has step down rings for the 58mm lens. This wouldn't affect aperture or anything else since the filter would be bigger than the front of the lens.

Duh! I can be such an idiot sometimes...somehow I missed the largest adapted down to smallest part of that.

One thing that bears mentioning -- don't use a polarizer on an even moderately wide-angle lens, if you're going to use it to darken the sky. The sky will polarize unevenly, and results in a weird coloring issue where half of the sky will be darker than the other half -- depending on positioning, of course.

One thing that bears mentioning -- don't use a polarizer on an even moderately wide-angle lens.

This is not a "Don't use" but rather a creative decision. I'd take a half dark sky over a flat image anyday if the polariser achieves other purposes like removing glare on a lake. There's no rule to say a sky needs to be evenly dark.

This is also very true, but depeding on composition it can make for a very awkward picture. It lends itself to more of a surreal photograph than one of what you actually saw through the lense. You'd prolly be better off using a 2 or 3 stop filter to darken up the sky rather than just use a polarizer. I guess just depending on what look/technique you're looking to achieve.

This is not a "Don't use" but rather a creative decision. I'd take a half dark sky over a flat image anyday if the polariser achieves other purposes like removing glare on a lake. There's no rule to say a sky needs to be evenly dark.

so what do you prefer to have, a polarizer for every lens or highest polarizer size and adapters to fit all other lenses? and why

I have a polarizer for most lenses that I use outdoors. Why, because I like to use my lens hoods. With step up rings, hoods cannot be mounted. But sometimes its hard to turn circ. polarizers with the hood on. LOL Its not so bad with the petal hoods though. I use the drop in one for the 600mm and find it very useful.

Derrick

True, but this is a very common (and easy to make) mistake for beginners. It becomes a creative decision only if you already understand what the problem is! :)

Most reactions

Back