Circular Polorizer and Flash

bgaideski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
bjgphoto.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am going to be shooting a wedding reception this weekend for a friend.

I just got an SB-600 for my Nikon and the CPII circular polarization filter.

I am wondering if it would be in my best interest to use the CPII with the flash? Some wedding dresses can be quite reflecting. Would the filter eliminate this reflection?

Would the darkness that the filter adds screw up the rest of the shooting? If used with the flash how much compensation should I used to make up for the light lost when going through the filter?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I am going to be shooting a wedding reception this weekend for a friend.

I just got an SB-600 for my Nikon and the CPII circular polarization filter.

I am wondering if it would be in my best interest to use the CPII with the flash? Some wedding dresses can be quite reflecting. Would the filter eliminate this reflection?

Would the darkness that the filter adds screw up the rest of the shooting? If used with the flash how much compensation should I used to make up for the light lost when going through the filter?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
A CPL filter has to be rotated to adjust its effectiveness.

How will you know at what angle the CPL needs to be adjusted to minimise the reflections when the flash fires? And, it will vary as the angle between the various parts of the wedding dress and your filter change so it's not a set it once for the day type of thing. You'll need to adjust it for every shot.

How much light your CPL will block on the lens you will be using is going to be somewhere between 1 and 2 stops, which for shooting weddings you should already know from experimentation.

Some wedding dress materials flouresce when lit with flash. In that case a UV filter would help to minimize overexposure of the wedding dress compared to its not flouresing surroundings.

Last edited:
If you are shooting a wedding reception you should know the answer
Personally i would leave it at home you will have enough to think about shooting without messing about with a filter and if defeats the oject of the flash because you are trying to add light and the filter reduces a bit of light

thanks for the input guys.

these are things i should know, but i don't.

this is my second wedding reception, and neither of them have been typical weddings. im just learning from experience at this point.

Most reactions

Back