Circus, C&C

JamieR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my cousin and my first portrait, so I'm not quite sure on the rules when shooting like this (technical rules, rule of thirds etc).

The sun was so bright, so i was battling harsh shadows. Let me know what you think. What would you do differently?

1/640
f/4
ISO100
50mm

3578969801_6ff3e81c2e_o.jpg

Aways look at the background ... many photographers get caught up in the primary subject. Take a look at the entire scene in the viewfinder first.
If you could, move your shooting position to get a better background.

Be patient ... anticipate what your subject may do ... possibly if you waited, her left hand position might have changed which would make the shot more pleasing.

Well, one of the rules you will hear mentioned is that you do not cut off limbs at the joints.

You cut her legs off at the knees. Try cropping it a little so that you cut off the legs between the knee and hip.

In harsh sunlight, I would try to find a spot in the shade. The side of the house maybe? Keep the background in mind though.

Wow, i never even noticed the background and the pink thing sticking out of her head.

Thanks for the tip of never cutting limbs off at the joints. These were just "snap shots", it wasn't really set up.

I do have a full body shot, but again the background isn't so pleasing. Still got a lot to learn!

Remember ... the human eye/brain is very selective.
We are easily distracted.

Looking at a captured image the eye/brain has freedom to scan the entire scene as it is static ... then you start noticing things you did not know existed.

When looking at a scene to photograph, scan the entire field of view, take it in it's entirety ... then if you are pleased with it ... take the shot.

Huge no no, u never cut off legs or any limbs!

That would make for a lot of full-body pictures of people and would lose a lot of very critical detail, expressions, etc. Hacking off limbs is fine, you just have to be careful how you do it.

Most reactions

Back