Clarinet-J.W.D ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by LaFoto, Mar 7, 2009.

1. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    ... I've only just (happened the day before yesterday when my little parcel arrived) fallen in love with Mozart's Concerto for Clarinet in A, KV 622, and I love most of all the 2nd movement, which I'm now listening to over and again ... and that's why I must think of you often just now. Can you play it? Have you played it? When was the last time you really played something as classical as this?

Is anyone else but me on here into classical music at all?

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I am!
    though my shame is that I know very few names of works (though I have heard most of what classic FM puts out ;)) so I never know what names to look for when in the shops, so I actually have very little of the music on CDs

3. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ha, how funny: this is exactly what happens to me all the time. I usually do "happy guessing" when it comes to a piece, and SOMETIMES I'm right, but mostly I just cannot remember. Which is why when I got that mail from Amazon about their special offer CDs (remastered recordings from way back), I decided to go order some that I thought might be nice to have as CD. That's how I came about this one with the above mentioned Concerto for Clarinet, the Concerto for Flute and Orchestra in G major, KV 313, and the Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra in B flat major, KV 191. I'm enjoying this one!

I also "delved into my purse" and ordered the Water Music and Music for the Royal Fireworks by Händel, played by The English Concert under Trevor Pinnock, since the only recordings I have are old records that I "inherited" from my parents centuries ago ... so I could never listen to it as a whole, for on the radio they only ever play parts of it...

I ordered more CDs, but all the others are choir pieces.

4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    see with names like "Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra in B flat major" its just way too long to remember and by the time you get to the shops its changed to a C sharp minor ;)
    I should work on music collecting, but at the moment I have a financial black hole (well some call it a camera ;))
    at the moment I float round lastFM a bit too'
    http://www.last.fm
    free to listen to (mostly) though they only have limited tracks for each group

5. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I too like classical music. And I too have difficulty remembering those long names! So I tend to stick with the well known, well, 'classics'! :lol:

6. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I should admit that I painstakingly copied that name off the booklet of my new CD, or else I wouldn't have been able to remember "Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra in B flat major", either. (The front of the CD reads "Bassoon Concerto". Easier, eh?)

And the Händel CD is just the Water Music and the Music for the Fireworks ... that's easy enough to remember, isn't it?

And since I'm rehearsing Haydn's Creation with a second choir (joined a second in Rotenburg, only for this very piece just now), I had to order that one, since I not only had never practised and sung it, I also never had HEARD it - listened to it - other than ABOUT it. But it's not one I'm going to fall in love with, though it's nice. But well... only that. Nice. But not quite as challenging as I first thought it might be.

7. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

Hehe! Of course I've played that :D

A number of times, actually, and the second movement is by far my favorite as well. Normally, though I focus on more contemporary music (I'm playing [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQONCxggAg"]Lutoslawski[/ame] now. This isn't the best recording, it's reeeeeally slow, but it's all I could find ;) EDIT: Ok, I just listened to the 3rd movent on this recording, and it's pretty shockingly bad.), but once in a while it's nice to go back and play the Mozart. The other well known clarinet music from the Classical perios is Carl Maria von Weber's concerti, but I played those so much in Middle and High School, I'd be satisfied if I never have to look at it again! :lol:

I play mostly 20th century and contemporary music, then Romantic period, and lastly Classical, though that's probably a product of how new the clarinet is in the music world.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  8. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Classical Music? What's that?...:lmao::lmao:

Yeah, I've been a classical music person all my life. And I know that concerto as well, it's a beauty, pretty much like all Mozart.

Kudos to you Joe for delving into Lutoslavski, it's not easy, as you know. And kudos for going into contemporary music. Some of it is just amazing, some is not. I love Gorecki's 3rd Symphony amongst the newer music, also Ligeti's choral works.

Back to the thread now, hijacking finished!:lol:

9. bjorkfiend

bjorkfiend TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  10. clarinetJWD

Oh, I've been doing the contemporary music thing for a while now. I played in my colleges contemporary music ensemble, premiered a number of new works by local composers, and am trying to break into the non-peabody-related contemp scene here in Baltimore. And, yeah...a lot isn't really worth hearing, but isn't that always the case? Time is the best filter for music, and in about 50 years, we'll see what really sticks!

No worries about the hijacking! I'm always up for a good classical music discussion!

Oh, and Bjork? Classical? **sobs**

11. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Joe, have you listened to David Krakauer playing the Klezmer Concerto? It's pretty good, we performed it with him last year.

12. clarinetJWD

No, I sure haven't! I'll have to look it up