"Classic Car shoot" help please!

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Captain IK, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Captain IK

Captain IK TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The good news is I just landed a nice assignment shooting at a Classic Car show.

Th bad news is I haven't done much car photography and am looking for a little advise:

Most of the shots (150-200 cars) will be done outdoors as the cars arrive, but many additional shots will be taken inside the facility.

1. I assume a focal length of around 100mm on a D90 will work well. I realize much of this depends on my distance from the car, but am looking for a general consensus here.
    2. The event planner wants me to be able to take a shot of each car as it enters the grounds and have the prints available for purchase by the end of the show.
    I've never had to deal with getting prints done so quickly. Do I buy a printer and print them myself on site (pretty much as I shoot)? or do I make arrangements with a nearby lab to print them as I email the files and then pick them up a few hours later (is this realistic?)

The lens question is pretty much an opinion as each situation will vary, but as for the printing issue for this event....I could use some input please.
    If this event goes well, it is likely I will be shooting a motorcycle show a few weeks later.

Please provide your thoughts

Thanks

2. Captain IK

Captain IK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll be out of my office for a couple of hours, so if I don't respond quickly, please carry on without me...
    I will be sure to follow up when I return.

3. C.Lloyd

C.Lloyd TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pick out your location carefully for shooting the cars as they arrive. No one will buy a $40 print of their car if it's just shot from a front 3/4 view... they could do that themselves. (And since it's a car show, they likely already have!) You'll want something distinct.... something exclusive in the background, perhaps a banner of the car show?

Ideally, how I would see this going down is that you would have a computer and monitor available on which the potential clients could view their photos beforehand, so that you're not making 200 prints and selling 30. (That'd be a lot of wasted prints. Lots wasted ink if you're printing on-site). I don't think it'd be too big a hassle to have a printer with you to make the prints (if you're going to have the computer there anyhow to let them view the shots anyhow) Or, depending on the length of the show (timewise), you may be able to 1) take the shots, 2) let the owners view them during the show and take orders and then 3) go to a local photo place and have the prints made up. If you arrange it ahead of time, I don't see why they couldn't make up 50 prints within an hour or so. If I can get an 8x10 out of the kiosk at Walgreens in a minute or 2, I don't see how that'd be a problem. (Speaking of Walgreens, those kiosks make pretty good prints).

How many prints does the promoter think will sell? How long is the show? What size(s) of prints will you need to print.

4. Captain IK

Captain IK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your input...
    Last year they had 150 cars and sold 100 4x6 prints at $10.00 ea. I have seen a few of them and they are lousy. I am very confident that I can do much better.
    This year they expect closer to 200 cars.
    As for print size I was thinking 8x10 at $25.00, but am interested to hear what others might charge.
    I like the idea of having the laptop there, perhaps with a large LCD monitor attached for customer viewing. AT 8x10 I want to print only what I sell.

5. msf

msf TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow, take 200 pictures, post process them, and sell prints all during one car show, your going to be busy. :)

You could upload the pictures and give each car owner a business card with the link. You can get possible print sales after the fact this way, assuming the event organizer doesnt have a problem with that.

6. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Sounds like a lot of work. ƒocal length is the lest of your worries. Are you able to provide retail quality prints on demand? If you do not already have your own printer then that may be a problem. The actual photography could be easy. Best bet is to stage the car in a shadow area and blast the subject with an off camera flash. The logistics of this plan may be a little tricky. You may have to make your own shade, which is not too hard depending on the position of the sun. Other option is to set up the tripod with a good (not busy) background and expose with just enough depth field to blur the background, but have the car in focus. Next step is figuring out how you will organize and name the shots. Trust me. This is really hard. Spill some more details and we can help further. Also keep in mind that this is at least a 2 man operation.

Love & Bass

7. Captain IK

Captain IK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Some good points guys.
    As for the shoot layout, I've pretty much got that covered. I will have 2 helpers so that should be covered.
    As for the actual shots...there will be very little (if any) post processing with the shots they get that day. I don't do much PP anyhow, but recognize that some will be necessary to optimize the shots. This will be set up as a production line with me spending only a minute or so with each car. We expect about 5 hours of shooting. AT the end of the event pictures are to be ready for pick up.
    SO I see the day going something like this:
    Hour 1 - setup "shooting area" (I have already scoped out the site and have a backup plan in case of rain)
    Hour 2 - Cars start to arrive and are paraded through the photo shoot area
    Hour 3 - Continue to shoot while assistant #2 starts to print ( I will shoot tethered to my laptop for instant downloading.)
    Hours 4,5,6 continue process
    Hours 7,8 - finalize prints and distribute
    Hour 9 - wrap things up, pack up
    Hour 10...find a place that serves cold beer!

Does that kinda make any sense?

8. Captain IK

Captain IK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    BTW...
    I will have my camera on a tripod and the cars will roll up to a predefined spot. I'll use a zoom lens so that minor focal adjustments can be made without moving.

9. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

My first thought is reflections. Whatever is in front of, above and behind the car will likely be visable in the cars, including any and all light sources.

I've done just one car shoot, and found it to be a challenge. I was indoors and on location. I remember hanging a lot of seamless paper and hitting it with strobes.

When you finish this one, be sure to share some shots here.

I wish you the best of luck.

-Pete

10. GerryDavid

GerryDavid No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There seems to be a post missing here. I got an email with some guy posting 2 links, one to a picture that did sell well, and another of a picture that didnt sell well.

Anywase, I was just wondering what sort of prints you usually sell to car people. Do they ever buy anything larger than 8x10? Do they even buy an 8x10? Im guessing they dont display large pictures in their house of their car.

Also, does anyone have any links to galleries of great car pictures? Ive been googling for a while and havent found anything exciting.

I may have a couple car portraits coming up, and Im looking into angles and perspectives. : ) Theres a great picture in the newest issue of rangefinder of a steeringwheel.

11. McQueen278

McQueen278 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry that was me with the links. I reconsidered the type of work he is doing compared to mine and it just didn't apply to the thread as well as I had initially thought so I deleted the post. I'm no automotive photographer, I just got roped into doing it for a friend who was working for a show. Besides, I realized the one that sold well was of a Rolls Royce. People with those cars tend to spend money so it might not have been the shot at all.

12. phillips_03

phillips_03 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your pricing seems reasonable, that is what they usually charge at shows when I attend them.