Classic photo

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by GARRETTgalbreath, Feb 15, 2005.

1. GARRETTgalbreath

GARRETTgalbreath TPF Noob!

I'm doing some photos for my dad's band and they want a classical looking image, so I know it's going to be B&W, but what else should I do to make it look aged and classic? Should I increase grain and make it look bad? I have no idea what to ask or where I was going to start, I was planning on just messing around in Photoshop until I came across something I liked. Can anyone offer any good suggestions on making something look like what I'm asking for? Sorry for the vagueness and I wish I could provide an example, but I don't know of anything off the top of my head. Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Knowing what type of band - and the music they play - would be a big help.
    Are they talking 'classical' as in Music, Art or Photography?
    If they are talking about photo style then do they mean Victorian, Edwardian, 1920's, 1950's, 1960's or what? They all had their particular style and are all considered Classic (think of cars).
    I'm afraid you are going to have to go back to your father and get some more info.
    This is one of the most difficult areas of pro photography, yet it is one that you hear little about: the client's brief. Clients don't actually know how to describe what they want - they only know it when they see it. That's why you get a lot of comments like 'that's not what I wanted at all - I thought you understood'.
    You have to pin the client down more by asking more questions like the ones above. Try to pin your father down a bit more about what he actually means. Sometimes it's easier to find out what he doesn't want. It helps to show some pictures. Find a few different ones and use them a bit like the Police constructing a photofit picture.
    When I got clients who were vague and wouldn't co-operate or who obviously had no idea what they wanted ('I want a nice picture - you know, a nice picture') I would sometimes say 'I do Photography - Mind Reading is next door'.
    Ask more questions, get a clearer idea of what is required and then come back.

3. GARRETTgalbreath

GARRETTgalbreath TPF Noob!

Ahhh you make this complicated but I get what you're saying. Can't you just read minds and make this easier on all of us? He's in a country band and I think they're looking for something weathered and worn out looking, something rustic and old school. Like early photos, really grainy and old-tyme like. I'll look around and see if I can get something I had in mind... Who would've thought brownie points take so much effort.

4. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Was mind reading really next door? Or was some poor corner shop constantly getting people come in looking for a mind reader?