Cleaning a Nikon CP

m1a1fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
All,

I have a cleaning issue here that I cannot seem to solve. I'm attempting to clean my Nikon CP and am getting a lot of streaking while cleaning it. I've tried microfiber lens cloths and lens tissues with no luck. I'm using a lens cleaning fluid and am spraying the fluid on the tissue and then wiping the polarizer (just as I do with my lenses).

I've tried using my breath to fog the glass a bit and then wipe it but have had only slightly better results.

So what do you guys do to keep these things clean? I've heard lens pens work ok but thought I'd see what you guys think.

I thought macro lens were for close up? I thought macro meant like 10mm, no?

Or macro lens means that you can focus and have a sharp image if you focus on like a fingernail or something like that, antlers of an ant, pimple on a teenager, etc?

he's right.... it's best to convert to tiff after adjusting your RAW files....

damn. wrong thread. im. ill keep it in here if u dont mind..

Here's what I do to get rid of streaking.

Pretty much everything you're doing - Spray on a cloth, or on the lens (doesn't seem to make a difference), then wipe with a separate DRY microfiber cloth until the lens/filter is dry and streak free.

Works well for me.

Pretty much everything you're doing - Spray on a cloth, or on the lens (doesn't seem to make a difference), then wipe with a separate DRY microfiber cloth until the lens/filter is dry and streak free.

Works well for me.
me too. streaks come from wet stuff. gotta have 2 clothes to clean properly.

Isopropyl alcohol on the cloth. It is already diluted so it wont hurt the coating. I use it on my telescopes front surface mirror to keep them from streaking.

Try some ronsonol lighter fluid. It sounds as though you have some oil on it.

Actually, I emailed Nikon with the same question I posted here and their reply was similiar to what you stated above. Nikon thinks there may still be some residue / grime on it from the manufacturing process and it should come off after a few cleanings.

Works well for me.

Thanks, at least I know I'm on the right track.

me too. streaks come from wet stuff. gotta have 2 clothes to clean properly.

I'll alternate between lens tissues and my microfiber cloth.

Isopropyl alcohol on the cloth. It is already diluted so it wont hurt the coating. I use it on my telescopes front surface mirror to keep them from streaking.

I was wondering if Isopropyl Alcohol could be used but I was concerned with ruining the coating on the filters surfaces.

Thanks for all the responses!

This is the first issue I've had with a filter not coming clean. My B+W Neutral Density Filters have always cleaned right up with nothing more than a Lens Tissue and some cleaning fluid. Same goes for my Singh-Ray's.

I was wondering if Isopropyl Alcohol could be used but I was concerned with ruining the coating on the filters surfaces.
It wont hurt it at all. Most reflection coatings are Magnesium Flourite. Which is pretty tough stuff.

Guys microfiber cloths are not the be-all and end-all. Just in case you don't already, you need to clean these at some point too. :) As someone who only owns one cloth, and never has streaks on the lens, and rarely uses anything other than plain water, if you can't get your lens clean you either have something very nasty on it or you're plain doing it wrong.

Guys microfiber cloths are not the be-all and end-all. Just in case you don't already, you need to clean these at some point too. :) As someone who only owns one cloth, and never has streaks on the lens, and rarely uses anything other than plain water, if you can't get your lens clean you either have something very nasty on it or you're plain doing it wrong.

That said tougher grease can be cleaned with pure isopropyl alochol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back