Cleaning crud

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Claff, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Claff

Claff TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Shot a bunch of stuff today and noticed quite a bit of debris (for lack of a better word) in the results. I can see some crud on the mirror of my D100, just curious about what the recommended way to get rid of the crud without damaging equipment on the eve of a couple of big shooting days ahead of me. Does the D100 have the automagic de-dusting feature or do I need compressed air or a very gentle cloth or something completely different?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

First of all...crud on the mirror will never show up in the images. The mirror flips up & out of the way when the shutter is tripped. Also, the mirror is quite delicate...so a little crud on the mirror is usually not worth the risk of possibly knocking it out of alignment.

Second, are you getting 'dust on the sensor' spots? A Google search should show you some examples to compare to. If so, you will need to clean the sensor. This is pretty much routine maintenance for a DSLR...and no, the D100 does not have a de-dusting feature. (read the manual). It should have a sensor cleaning mode though.

Google 'sensor cleaning'...or even try a search of these forums. There are different methods and products avaliable. Compresses air is not something you should use. Most canned air will leave a residue which you don't want on your sensor. Also, blowing that much air into the camera would probably just get dust everywhere.