Cleaning D4s mirror

cowleystjames

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have an annoying spot on my mirror that I'd like to clean off.
Now I know it doesn't affect the photo, but it's really annoying me and it's right in my eyeline.
It doesn't blow or brush off, so can I just wet clean it, as I do the sensor, with Visible Dust Sensor Clean and pads?
Just a little bit nervous as I've read it's pretty easily scratched.

Are you sure it is on your mirror and not in your viewfinder?

Definitely on the mirror, i can see it with my loupe

I cleaned my mirror on my d3200 with no problem when i used those swabs. But there could be a danger of dragging whatever is on the mirror and making scratches. My advice would be to just leave it alone or bring it to a professional. But maybe there are other, more experienced users with better advice?

Not sure how you can "see" ANYTHING that is on the mirror. One can see stuff that is on the top or the bottom of the viewfinder screen, yes, but NOT on the mirror surface. And yes, touching a camera's mirror with even a soft cleaning cloth or Q-tip or whatever will scratch the mirror. Seriously...do NOT clean a mirror in an SLR or d-slr. I've done it myself. And it has never done anything positive...it's just scratched the mirror surface. I think you're confusing something in the viewfinder system with something being on the mirror; the surface of the mirror is NOT in-focus to the eye. In no way at all can the mirror';s surface be seen; it is a physics impossibility.

You can see the mirror, and use a loupe for a close look at it, by removing the lens.

I've never encountered a spot on the main mirror that wouldn't blow or brush off.

Definitely on mirror, I can see it through my loupe.
I'm going to leave it until the next time I'm near Richmond and drop it in to Nikon UK.

You can see the mirror, and use a loupe for a close look at it, by removing the lens.
Yes but Derrel is right: the mirror itself is completely out of focus and dirt on it should be invisible in the viewfinder.

Turned out to be dirt on the focus screen. Nikon cleaned it up and all good. Didn't get billed anything, not sure why as I didn't get to speak to the tech guy.
Thanks for all your input guys

Most reactions

Back