Cleaning Lenses and Filters -- How?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by astrostu, Dec 26, 2006.

1. astrostu

astrostu Guest

So, I very accidentally got some grease on my new IR filter, and I don't know how to get it off without damaging the filter.

So a basic question that I haven't seen answered on these forums before: What's an easy, non-destructive way to clean filters and lenses, and what are ways that are completely destructive (AKA, to be avoided)?

2. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Since you can't blow the grease off or brush it off, you need to apply something wet. Use lens cleaning solution and a CLEAN microfiber cloth.

3. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Anything which contains materials as hard or harder than glass is destructive. A piece of cloth with tiny bits of grit in the fibers will cause scratching.

Lens tissue is a porous paper manufactured grit-free. It can be rubbed against glass without damaging the surface. Please note -- glass. That doesn't mean a coating on the glass. An uncoated filter or lens can be easily cleaned with a huff-and-puff to provide a bit of moisture followed by a rub with lens tissue.

For coated surfaces, especially coated lenses manufactured in the 50's through 70's, a lens cleaning kit specific for photographic lenses is the way to go.

4. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Dust can best be removed from a lens surface with a lens brush. Use the brush only for that purpose and keep it clean between usings.

The microcloth and lens cleaning fluid are available at;

http://www.surplusshed.com/