Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mitsugirly, Jan 27, 2009.

1. mitsugirly

mitsugirly TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    As everyone knows, I just got my camera and I'm new to this dslr thing.

What kind of cleaning kit do I need to maintain the camera? Certain items that I will need? I have seen others talk about some type of "lens blower" and was wondering what type of "cleaning kit" should I purchase? Are these in any camera store? Walmart? Ebay?

Thanks and sorry for the noob question. I just want to make sure that I take good care of my investment.

2. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What are you shooting ? a D90 i think?

The self cleaning sensor seems to work pretty well... I change my lenses often and have only had to blow the sensor once this year...

Giottos rocket blower works for me... check it out on google

I wouldn't clean the internals until you see dust in your images. No sense mucking about.

3. mitsugirly

mitsugirly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a Sony a300.

I have the self cleaning sensor, but I thought maybe I was suppose to blow it off in between changing lens or something. Also, do you just use one of those dust clinging clothes to wipe of the outside of the lens? I don't want to damage it or scratch it.

Is it a good thing to buy the screen protectors on the view finder?

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've moved your thread out of the film section, you will get more hits out here. ;)

Keep the outside clean and use a bulb blower or soft brush to get rid of dirt & dust.
    A DSLR cameras also needs to have the sensor cleaned from time to time. To see how dirty your sensor is, put it into aperture priority mode and set an apperture of F22 (give or take) and take a photo of a blank wall. If there are any dust spots, they will show up in the images as specs or blobs.

There are a few different methods to cleaning the sensor. Read your manual about how to activate the cleaning mode. Usually, people start with the most simple, which is to use a bulb blower and try to blow the dust off. The best type of bulbs are the ones that look like a rocket. Make sure to hold the camera face down so the dust falls out.

If that doesn't get all of it, you may have to use a more invasive method. One of which is a sensor brush. Have a look at the products at Visible Dust.. The Arctic Butterfly is highly regarded.

Another method is to use a sensor swab of some type and a cleaning fluid. This is known as a wet cleaning. Basically, you use the swab with a drop or two of the fluid and swipe across the sensor.

Of course, you can take or send your camera in to a shop or repair facility to be cleaned. Many people are afraid to damage their cameras so they take this route...but it's not really hard to do, so I so suggest learning to do it yourself.
    Remember, you aren't actually cleaning the sensor itself...just the filter in front of it...like cleaning a tiny window.

5. DexGtr

DexGtr TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    unless you see dust spots don't mess with cleaning the sensor...use a microfiber cloth to wipe the lens....and i'll let you know on the screen protector....i have an a200 and the screen protector is on the Fedex truck right now...on the way to my house.

6. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I set my sensor clean to perform on each power up...(because one typically powers down to swap a lens)...

You definitly don't need to blow it manually between changes unless you are shooting in the desert...

For the lenses I usually blow the dust with the blower, and, if necessary use a lint free microfibre cloth for wipe up..

As for screen protectors on the viewfinder ( i assuming the LCD screen you are talking about) these are generally a good idea..

if you are talking about screen protectors for the actual little viewfinder that sounds a little overkill.... but then again.... i don't use a pen protector on my shirts so maybe i'm just wild and crazy...

7. mitsugirly

mitsugirly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for moving it. I didn't realize I had posted in there. I'll have to see about getting one of those bulbs. Thanks for all the tips.

Where did you get the screen protector? How much are they?

So I should have the sensor clean performed each time I power up on like a daily basis? Not a problem.

I wanted to make sure it was ok to use the microfibre cloth...just in case it has any chemicals on it...I didn't want that to happen.

Yes, I'm talking about the LCD.

8. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    LCD screen potectors need to be carefully chosen - many are very soft and whilst they will protect the LCD they will take marks very easily which makes things tricky to read on the LCD

9. mitsugirly

mitsugirly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Any suggestions which to buy?

10. DexGtr

DexGtr TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LCD Screen Protectors | Sony | SonyStyle USA

i bought mine for $11.99...with free shipping from Sony Style. the one for the a300 is $11.99 although looks like right now it's backordered.

11. mitsugirly

mitsugirly TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

12. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've yet to actually see a significantly damaged LCD screen on a DSLR camera.

Several years ago, I heard that it was actually quite inexpensive to have the screen cover replaced if it was ever damaged, so I didn't bother to put added protection on my screens. Several years later...my screens aren't scratched up at all and I don't really baby them.