Cleaning?

Bear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to a local camera store to help decide which camera I want. Along sidedeciding on a Canon XTi, The guy said it would have to get cleaned periodically...I've never heared of this before and they want $75 each time.

Does the camera have to be cleaned? how often? couldn't I do it myself? how much should it cost?

Thanks for the help ;)

oh and what exactly is being cleaned? and is there anything else like this? I am now worried about there being normal costly maintenance. What can you guys tell me about this?

It's the sensor that needs cleaning. Everything gets dust on it...but dust on the sensor will tend to show up in your photos...so it does need to be cleaned from time to time.

You don't need to take it in for cleaning, it's fairly easy to do it yourself. There are different methods and products you can use. Search the forum for 'sensor cleaning' then try a google search.

Keep in mind that the software that comes with the XTi (don't know about other brands, sorry) has a dust delete feature. If there is dust on your sensor, you can set the dust delete in the camera and take a picture of a white sheet of paper and it edits out the dust specks when you load your pictures.

My sensor got real dirty, real fast (I love to change lenses!) and I don't have much problem with dust specks showing up since I did the dust delete.

Ha!! just like a saleman to sell you abunch of bull****.

Do yourself a favor and get one of these blowers , and your dust problems will be all gone.
http://www.adorama.com/GTRAB.html
Helluva better option 12 bicks vs. 75 every time you get dust spots.

I use one whenever I see a spot and it knocks em right out.

Oh ya...the XTi also has a vibrating screen over the sensor...it vibrates for a brief moment every time you turn on the camera...and is supposed to get rid of dust.

Tell that salesman to get bent.

Most reactions

Back