Client Communications

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I much prefer communicating via email so that there is a record of what has been said...but some clients insist on talking on the phone.

I hate talking on the phone. I'm forced to think on my feet and there's no record of what is being said.

Is there a way to make clients email instead of call? I really hate talking on the phone.

Yes, there is a way to avoid talking to clients on the phone. Don't answer the phone when they call.

Huh... I'm just the opposite. I much prefer talking (face-to-face is best, but telephone is usually more practical). It's too difficult to misconstrue mood and nuance in e-mail. Once I've had all of my conversations and set everything up, I follow up with an e-mail which outlines the session/project and request confirmation from the client. From a purely business perspective, it's also a LOT harder to upsell via e-mail!

Take notes during the conversation and then follow up with an email which summarises the agreements that you've made on the telephone. Now you've got a written record of what was agreed to for both yourself and them. You've allowed yourself all the benefits of direct communication whilst at the same time backed that up with a papertrail.

If you use contracts then, of course, you'd amend the contract and have it sent to them to sign/agree to.

Many people like telephones as they are more real than emails; also many people don't respond to emails very quickly (or at all) so sometimes people prefer a direct phone call to know that you've paid attention to them.

I'm thinking along the same lines - jot down notes, send a follow up email as needed; that was part of my job (not photography related). But I don't think there's a way to make people email instead of calling (or to make them do anything really).

If you're concerned about thinking on your feet, I'd try to be as ready as possible - have calendar/schedule handy, have info. used regularly where you can pull it up quickly, etc. I think it's OK to ask someone to hold on a moment while you check something, or say you'll need to look into it and get back to them (for questions or requests that aren't typical). I think having done sports and events that working with people and communication is part of the job/the work.

I prefer a phone call. This has always been the best way for me secure the job. But I like people, and chatting is one of my strongest assets. It gives me the chance to ask what's necessary to understand the client's wants and often can offer better alternatives. And it allows me to assure my customers that I know how to deliver what the want, when they want it. (My business is nearly all commercial these days)

As tirediron advised, follow up with an email to nail everything down. Don't underestimate personal contact with your clients.

-Pete

To start up with a new customer a phone call is usually the best option. These days I use e-mail more for confirming information discussed or to send offers, contracts, completed work and such. A customer will appreciate an e-mail where you confirm that you have done something for them, but they probably don't like having to go back and forth with ten e-mails that could have been covered in a five minute conversation.

Most reactions

Back