Client demanding RAW files. Now what?

Let me check with outlook for you. Thats what my college uses and I do believe there is an auto response feature.

There is, but I'm not sure if you can make it go out just for one e-mail address...

Yup I dont think you can... I just checked and its an auto response to all incoming E-mails... well it would still work I guess? depending on how many E-mails she gets haha

If you have Outlook 2007, you can create a rule to automatically block messages from a specific sender. Right click on one of the messages from that sender and choose the Create Rule option. Go through the listing of choices and choose to Permanently Delete the message. That should take care of it. Hope this helps.

Anyone who goes to that much trouble to give you a hard time for something legit is not worth your time at all. Cut off communication as quickly as you can.

I wouldn't waste my time replying to them, but it might be a good idea to save them.

...Just in case you have to prove what an ass he was being later on.

Hi Lauren,

Well, my thoughts on this are that this whole mess just isn't worth the mental anquish and actual time you are devoting to it. He obviously is not going to do anything that's going to cost him any more money.

I don't know what your annual gross is, but if it were me, I would cut him a check for his $100 and send it and a note saying that since you can't come to an agreement, you are making a one-time exception to your non-refundable rule. Also tell him that you've destroyed his raw files, thank you very much. And let go of it.

Jerry

i second jerry suggestion

nothing is worth this 100 dollars, you have more important matters to take up your time. your son.

Hi Lauren,

I don't know what your annual gross is, but if it were me, I would cut him a check for his $100 and send it and a note saying that since you can't come to an agreement, you are making a one-time exception to your non-refundable rule. Also tell him that you've destroyed his raw files, thank you very much. And let go of it.

Jerry

I like this idea. Thank you. That is perfect.

I would have to disagree... if you refund the $100 then this guy gets the idea that his little "games" would work. You had a contract... tough for him, he signed it and needs to learn how to deal with it. I would NOT give that guy a penny back.

I was thinking I might refund him just the $25 print credit he doesn't intend to use, then tell him I am destroying the photos. I want to at least be compensated for my time that he already used, but make it clear I have no interest in working with him or his demands.

Exactly, you did a job which took YOUR time that you could have been out shooting another client. I personally wouldn't give him the $25 back even. Dont get rid of the pictures just in case he does decide to use his print credit. On your contract does it say anywhere that you cannot get the $25 credit in cash? like "$25 credit has no cash value and you can't get it in cash" type of thing?

Exactly, you did a job which took YOUR time that you could have been out shooting another client. I personally wouldn't give him the $25 back even. Dont get rid of the pictures just in case he does decide to use his print credit. On your contract does it say anywhere that you cannot get the $25 credit in cash? like "$25 credit has no cash value and you can't get it in cash" type of thing?

No, my contract doesn't stat that the credit has cash value, just that the session fee includes $25 toward print/product purchases. You have an excellent point, and I am going to put that into my contract.

I don't want to take credit for the idea... I feel like I saw it on a Monopoly game piece from McDonalds haha

Lauren,

Your time is worth money. And how much of your time has already been spent here on line talking about this and how much of your time has been spend online with this guy? Time you could have been using working on another order, time you could have been spending on your business plan, time you could have been spending just sitting back and enjoying your free time. Instead, you are wasting time dealing with a low life deadbeat.

Is that even worth $100, much less $75. It's great for you to stick up for your ideals as CW Jones says, but the reality is this is taking up way too much of your time. And if this guy does like to sue, just think of all the fun times you'll have preparing for court and then taking time off in the middle of the day to go to court. Sure you may win, but if he doesn't want to pay, you'll spend even more time getting an injunction against him, dealing with the marshalls to go pick him up, trying to put a garnish on his wages (not sure a judge would even try a garnishment for $100 + fees).

But it's your business...

Last edited:
Lauren,

Your profile doesn't show what country you are in. Canadian copyright law is substantially different than US law.

It is my understanding that in Canada, unless your contract specifically stipulates otherwise, the client owns the copyrights to the images.

I'm in the U.S. From what I understand, the photographer owns the copyright to the images in the U.S. At least that is how I have always understood it, much the way an author owns the copyright to his work.

All good points and very much appreciated. I will sleep on the information and figure out what to do in the morning...or maybe I'll just put this off for later. As you say, I have more important things to do with my time, and right now I need to finish proofing another client and worry about my little boy. :)

Thanks everyone for the very thoughtful response to my dilemna. Your support has given me much to consider and think about. I truly appreciate it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back