Client has a clothing question - help please!

Ajay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wasn't sure where to post this question...

I'm doing an engagement session tomorrow and for part of the session the girl wants to wear a black dress and her husband wants to wear black pants, a black shirt, and a white tie. She is asking me if that is too much black and I'm not sure what to tell her. She wants him to wear a red shirt since that is their main wedding color.

Is that too much black? Should I agree with her just to keep her happy? :greenpbl:

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

black pants, a black shirt, and a white tie.

Um.....not a fan of that look. And a white tie??? It will be dated in 20 years when they look at it, if not next year.

Also, they might look like a big black blob put together....I'm not liking the problem potential, but have no experience here, so take that for what it's worth. What's wrong with a white shirt (I'm assuming traditional dress shirt here) and a red tie?

She'll be fine in a black dress, so long as it isn't overly conservative so as to conjure up thoughts of funeral attire.

I agree with Stella. It is too much black, and the whitetiewould look terrible. A red shirt would also be too much... unless they are German :p
The suggestion of white shirt and red tie sounds good.

Thanks guys. I just wasn't sure. I suggested the white shirt and red tie to her - hopefully they will go with that. I told her I didn't think the white tie would work no matter what color shirt he's wearing. Here's hoping they actually listen to me!

I told her I didn't think the white tie would work no matter what color shirt he's wearing. Here's hoping they actually listen to me!

Agreed. It sounds hideous, to be honest. Grey or silver, maybe, but white?

If you have to shoot them wearing this, chimp a few frames to make sure there is detail in the clothes.

I would shoot in RAW and expose for their faces, then to bring out a little detail in the black clothes I would add some "fill light". That should work.

I would shoot in RAW and expose for their faces, then to bring out a little detail in the black clothes I would add some "fill light". That should work.

Add the fill light in photoshop?

Better to do it in camera.

I would insist they bring something more appropriate, take shots in both, and let them pick what they want.

I would hire someone to consult on the wardrobe and roll it into their bill if they'll stomach the charge. These people clearly have no sense.

I would hire someone to consult on the wardrobe and roll it into their bill if they'll stomach the charge. These people clearly have no sense.

Not quite that involved of a session. They are barely paying me as this is a portfolio building endeavour for me. I didn't even know that there were such things has wardrobes consultants to be hired for a photoshoot.

Most reactions

Back