Clients defacing images on social media

Should I let this slide??

• Yes

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters
What was in the contract? If the seniors are under 18 does a parent sign it and receive a copy? That's what you'd need to refer the client back to as a reminder what was agreed on.

If this look is what's popular with seniors this year maybe you need to offer some options with frames/filters that are your style but have a look that would appeal to them, and provide a watermarked smaller sized low res copy for use on social media.

Editorial use is newspaper/magazine publication and usually does not require a release but sometimes it may be requested; the subject isn't compensated unless it was a model who was paid to pose for photo sessions. Other retail or commercial use usually requires a signed release from any subject that is recognizable.

There's info. about contracts, releases, etc. on American Society of Media Photographers or PPA's site.

Call (NOT e-mail, text, etc) but actually TALK to her and her parents. Explain that you will be happy to re-process the images (within certain limits) once she's made her choice, but the images you posted were simply to allow her to have an advance look. Also, explain very carefully to her and her parents that what she did was illegal.

I like this approach. Call them rather than email.

What was in the contract? If the seniors are under 18 does a parent sign it and receive a copy? That's what you'd need to refer the client back to as a reminder what was agreed on.

If this look is what's popular with seniors this year maybe you need to offer some options with frames/filters that are your style but have a look that would appeal to them, and provide a watermarked smaller sized low res copy for use on social media.

I also like this approach!

If she is buying the images they are hers correct? Can she not also revoke your right to use them if she is in them?

If they signed a contract, good luck unsigning it.

I thought her "defacement" was actually pretty well-done, and did not hurt the images much if at all.

Legality of what she did aside.. I just don't see why its worth pursuing and potentially hurting the relationship and potentially losing out on referrals. I'm sure there are nice ways to phrase it but in the end any which way, IMO, its going to leave a bad taste in her mouth.

Exactly. It's a teen who likes her pictures and wants to show them off. She uses instagram and whatever every day. She doesn't care about your thinking that she's an advertising pawn. Her friends are going to like them because she likes them. She doesn't want to show them off with your name on them.

Any advice? Thanks!

You could learn to live with it.

I've had designs compromised by the contractor many times. Yes, it bothered me a lot at first, then I just decided to get over it.

This family is not using your images for commercial purposes, so what's the big deal? Your pride?

Legality of what she did aside.. I just don't see why its worth pursuing and potentially hurting the relationship and potentially losing out on referrals. I'm sure there are nice ways to phrase it but in the end any which way, IMO, its going to leave a bad taste in her mouth.
And this is why this problem is wide-spread; "Oh, it's just a couple of images, I don't want to lose her as a client." Sorry, but IMO, this is wholly the wrong approach. You certainly don't need to go in, guns blazing, but it's important for you, and everyone else in the industry to make the effort, where you can, to stop this. Call her parents, explain to them how the law works, and that while you're mad, you don't want it to happen again. You could even offer to process some prints for her in a more "trendy" style.

Nb. This is NOT a problem when you sell prints! ;)

Reactions: KmH
I like hers better than yours, except for the ridiculous borders. Quite apart from the legality etc.

"Nb. This is NOT a problem when you sell prints! ;)"

Wow, prints. I'm sure she'd be thrilled to carry a 8x10 album around to show her friends. Maybe she could mail it to her friends via post across town.

Welcome to today. Learn to profit from it, or lose business.

"Nb. This is NOT a problem when you sell prints! ;)"

Wow, prints. I'm sure she'd be thrilled to carry a 8x10 album around to show her friends. Maybe she could mail it to her friends via post across town.

Welcome to today. Learn to profit from it, or lose business.
How many repeat orders do you get when you sell the digital files?

How many repeat orders do you get when you sell the digital files?

Enough clients to balance the sales I guess.. lol In all seriousness though, I have started adding a few pro lab prints to my packages, along with the digital files and people have been coming back to me after the fact when they want more prints and have printed at random shops against my recommendation asking for more pro lab prints or telling me they were unhappy with whatever local print lab and telling me they have gone ahead and ordered through my recommendations instead. I want people to see the difference in quality and so far, it seems to be working. Can't speak for all but its working here for me.

Don't post any online ... Meet, select(from PC or iPad), pay deposit, deliver, collect full payment. Perhaps you are as eager as your client to post online? Just wondering...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back