Cliffs of Mohr - Ireland C&C

This would be a good shot for HDR. If you had the RAW file, I could have made it much better but here's a shot. It's a little noisy. See if you like?

hdredyou.jpg

Wow awesome, makes me want to do HDR images! :)
I'm going to post another pic that would took from the roadside on another part of the island :)

yeah HDR can be lots of fun! Check out the HDR section as well. Shoot your images in RAW and you'll have lots of control of the images during PP. Sometimes if you only get one decent shot, it'll be worth way more in RAW format than JPEG format. You can really play with the colors and adjust them.

I wish I could get a shot like that myself! What a nice looking view!

Did you check your camera settings before you took the shot, because your settings were miles off what they should have been
ISO 800, 1/4000, F5, spot metering, those settings are crazy for a landscape

Wouldn't that high of an ISO made it look grainy?

I think this person was implying those were your settings for this photo. I'm guessing your EXIF data was attached. Buuuut, rather than just telling you your settings are crazy, perhaps suggesting better settings would have been the better course... :waiting:

These are my noob suggestions, but perhaps aperture priority mode, f/5-8, ISO100 (should bring you shutter speed down a bit, too), and matrix metering? And as someone mentioned above, a polarizing filter. That would also bring your shutter speed down even more. 1/4000 was waaaay excessively fast indicating you had a lot of spare light to play with. Also, were you using a tripod? If not, definitely use one in the future!

Ok... From what I understand, using the term HDR when only one image was used to create the file is incorrect. An HDR image is taken with at least 3 images at different exposures. That being said here is a quick edit I did for fun.

DSC_05951.jpg

Did you check your camera settings before you took the shot, because your settings were miles off what they should have been
ISO 800, 1/4000, F5, spot metering, those settings are crazy for a landscape

Wouldn't that high of an ISO made it look grainy?

I think this person was implying those were your settings for this photo. I'm guessing your EXIF data was attached. Buuuut, rather than just telling you your settings are crazy, perhaps suggesting better settings would have been the better course... :waiting:

These are my noob suggestions, but perhaps aperture priority mode, f/5-8, ISO100 (should bring you shutter speed down a bit, too), and matrix metering? And as someone mentioned above, a polarizing filter. That would also bring your shutter speed down even more. 1/4000 was waaaay excessively fast indicating you had a lot of spare light to play with. Also, were you using a tripod? If not, definitely use one in the future!

Thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate that.

And I have a tripod and I stinking forgot it! My husband heard that through out a lot of the trip, haha!

I will look into a polarizing filter. Any suggestions?

Awesome thank you, I will practice it on my next outing, which will be in Chicago. Anyone know of any great places to get some good shots? I know the Bean is a famous one.

The Picasso in the Daley Center plaza, Navy Pier, for street photos there's Michigan Ave., Lincoln Park Zoo, Chicago Botanic Garden. Is that enough? ;)

And I have a tripod and I stinking forgot it! My husband heard that through out a lot of the trip, haha!

Unfortunately I haven't any suggestions. I don't have one myself, but have played with a friends. Can't remember what one he had. The only suggestion I can make is don't go cheap. You get what you pay for.

Awesome thank you, I will practice it on my next outing, which will be in Chicago. Anyone know of any great places to get some good shots? I know the Bean is a famous one.

The Picasso in the Daley Center plaza, Navy Pier, for street photos there's Michigan Ave., Lincoln Park Zoo, Chicago Botanic Garden. Is that enough? ;)

AWESOME! I owe my husband a ride on the ferris wheel so Navy Pier is definite :)

Unfortunately I haven't any suggestions. I don't have one myself, but have played with a friends. Can't remember what one he had. The only suggestion I can make is don't go cheap. You get what you pay for.

Awesome, I'll be looking into one after work. Thank you!

Ok... From what I understand, using the term HDR when only one image was used to create the file is incorrect. An HDR image is taken with at least 3 images at different exposures. That being said here is a quick edit I did for fun.

Not always true Jason. You can indeed pull a great HDR with 1 photo. I've posted a few HDR shots the other day and one was for fun to try w/ one shot, and people on the HDR board ended up loving it more than the HDR intended shots.

Give it a try, if it works for me, I know it'll work for you way better.

Most reactions

Back