Climb on down into the whiskey barrel

single malt scotch.
blended is for rookies.

except for crown royal. i kinda like that stuff.

FWIW Crown Royal is rye (a very good rye). Good single malt scotch is Glenlivet.

single malt scotch.
blended is for rookies.

FWIW Crown Royal is rye (a very good rye). Good single malt scotch is Glenlivet.
I prefer 20 year balvenie

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I like Scotches that are peaty and salty. Laphroaig comes to mind. Also, if you've never tried McCallan 18, then you haven't lived. Unfortunately, I see the price of a bottle has gone up over $200. I'll have to settle for the 12 until I can save up and splurge.

I like it better when someone else pays for it. I have a nice brother-in-law who has shared some pretty sweet pours with me, like Middleton Very Rare and Pappy.

When I'm buying, I tend to prefer barley, rye, and wheat whiskey to the ones made mostly with corn. Right now, my "rough day" pour is Stranahan's Diamond Peak, but I have some Angel's Envy and a bottle of Laphroaig depending on how I'm feeling.

single malt scotch.
blended is for rookies.

I kinda like kids too, but I don't want any of my own any more.
single malt scotch.
blended is for rookies.

Crown Royal is corn whiskey. Crown Royal does make a rye called Crown Royal Rye.

If you want a very good, dark rich Scotch then try Talisker. The 25 year old is outstanding, and pricey especially depending on the year you get. My bottle is a 2007. It was around $300 when I got it. It has gone up since then. This is obviously my good friends Scotch.

For everyone else they get a Distillers edition. It runs around $100 a bottle.

If you are feeling extravagant or happen to have an extra long Cuban dog turd to puff on you might look at a 1973 special edition bottle of Talisker. It's going for $4800.00 right now.

I like Scotches that are peaty and salty. Laphroaig comes to mind.

Ah, that stuff tastes like your sucking Glenlivet through a piece of charcoal !!! ... though not that bad after a while (bottle).

Hmm, now I feel like a glass of Scotch. Good thing my grocery store delivers alcohol ... hmm, Dalwhinnie, Oban, Glenmorangie ... hmm.

I prefer bourbon to regular whiskey.

For the cheap, big name stuff I really like Jim beam: red stag. I use it for mixed drinks a lot.

If I'm sipping bourbon on the rocks, I really enjoy a local variety called "1 foot cock" as well as 1792.

I like Scotches that are peaty and salty. Laphroaig comes to mind. Also, if you've never tried McCallan 18, then you haven't lived. Unfortunately, I see the price of a bottle has gone up over $200. I'll have to settle for the 12 until I can save up and splurge.

Aye, I'm totally with you on the salty peated whisky. Kilchomen is an interesting one if you like Islay whisky, all the peat, but very little iodene flavor that's typical of them. Ardbeg, Laphroig, Lagavulin, Caol Isla, Kilchomen are my favorite big peated ones (in order of most heavily peated first). Big Peat is a blended heavily peated whisky and quite nice but to my taste doesn't have the same kind of flavour profile as the malts, Smokehead is similar too. Talisker (from Skye) is also up there with the best IMO. Benromach gets an honarable mention in my book being an unusual peated Speyside giving a unique flavour. All worth trying.

The absolute best whisky I've ever had was a 1980 24yr old sample bottle of Port Ellen. Dunno what it would go for now but my god it was a fine dram. Shame they mothballed that distillery.

to disagree on the McCallan though. I'd prefer a Glenmorangie or even an Old Poultney.

With bourbon I like mine in an old fashioned (cocktail). I'm not fussy about that. Rum, has got to be good old Sailor Jerry's.

Last edited:
Jameson Special Reserve (used to be 1780), or the Macallan 18 if I'm drinking Scotch. Or a glass of Goslings Black Seal rum when the pirate mood strikes.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Wait. You mean to tell me there are other ways to drink whiskey besides straight?

Single drop of water.
In exchange for your words of wisdom I shall give you some of my own. The root of the yellow water lilly can be boiled and eaten like a potato. Not sure if you have them up in Canaduck but we have them in the southern part of the U.S. They are ok to eat during winter, fall, and spring. Don't know about summer.

Last edited:
Aye, I'm totally with you on the salty peated whisky. Kilchomen is an interesting one if you like Islay whisky, all the peat, but very little iodene flavor that's typical of them. Ardbeg, Laphroig, Lagavulin, Caol Isla, Kilchomen are my favorite big peated ones (in order of most heavily peated first). Big Peat is a blended heavily peated whisky and quite nice but to my taste doesn't have the same kind of flavour profile as the malts, Smokehead is similar too. Talisker (from Skye) is also up there with the best IMO. Benromach gets an honarable mention in my book being an unusual peated Speyside giving a unique flavour. All worth trying.

The absolute best whisky I've ever had was a 1980 24yr old sample bottle of Port Ellen. Dunno what it would go for now but my god it was a fine dram. Shame they mothballed that distillery.

to disagree on the McCallan though. I'd prefer a Glenmorangie or even an Old Poultney.

With bourbon I like mine in an old fashioned (cocktail). I'm not fussy about that. Rum, has got to be good old Sailor Jerry's.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll be getting myself a bottle of something this weekend :)

Many moons ago, I visited the Edradour distillery outside of Pitlochry. It's been a while and I can't remember the exact characteristics of the Scotch, but I remember that I liked it :) Here's a shot from the walking trail I took to the distillery:

Pitlochry
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Jameson Special Reserve (used to be 1780), or the Macallan 18 if I'm drinking Scotch. Or a glass of Goslings Black Seal rum when the pirate mood strikes.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I am not a big fan of rum, but I do like Goslings. I tend to think of rum as a summer drink, so I usually drink it in a Dark n' Stormy, but have been known to drink it neat at times.

Whiskey is something I still haven't acquired a taste for. I just don't like it, but that's the case for most hard alcohol.

I'm much more a fan of a good red wine. Cabernet is my favorite.

Whiskey is something I still haven't acquired a taste for. I just don't like it, but that's the case for most hard alcohol.

I'm much more a fan of a good red wine. Cabernet is my favorite.

Ain't nothing wrong with wine :) I prefer bold reds, like the Cabs or a good old vine Zin. A shiraz is tricky - I like the taste but for some reason, wines made with that grape tend to trigger headaches, especially those from Australia.

I realize that this is going to make me sound like a huge lush, but I enjoy wine and beer as well as a good cocktail made with hard liquor. They just serve different purposes for me.

Most reactions

Back