Close encounter

altyfc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
manyara-close-large.jpg

Aaron

Cute picture. I am only one guy, but what gives this photo the altyfc signature? We all love animals and they make for cute photos. Certainly you have other frames of this scene? and certainly you are beyond snapshots.

craig said:
...what gives this photo the altyfc signature?

I'm sorry but I don't understand the question.

Thanks for all the comments everyone! :)

Aaron

It is a tricky question, it may be a question for a smarter man than me. I think that we always need put our own views in our photos. A signature, of sorts, so that when the viewer sees it, they immediately say "altfyc" took that photo" he knows because of the way it was lit, or the particular angle, or the way you decided to handle the depth of field, or whatever.

The "close encounter" is a good photo. There is the cute elephant near the mandatory Range Rover (safari Vehicle), The question is. Would it be a better photo if YOU explored it more? I think anyone that stumbled on this scene would have taken the same photo. A wise man that I share my work with says to me, "Craig you have a green photo", meaning the photo is well lit and well, well exposed, and in focus, or whatever, but who cares? it is still a dull photo.

That may or may not make sense. Let me know your thoughts.

My immediate thoughts are that it doesn't make sense. I'm sorry but I really don't know what you are getting at, on first reading. :?

I shall re-read and think about it to see if I can make any sense of what you are saying. Meanwhile, if anyone can help translate... :wink:

Aaron

Perhaps if you told me what you would have done differently, I would understand...?

Aaron

A different angle is my first thought. Were you in a car or walking? Did you have a long or wide lens? How receptive was the critter to having his photo taken? What would the scene look like if you were too stand on the roof of the Range Rover. Personally, my biggest photo flaw is: not "exploring" the shot from all angles etc.

craig said:
A different angle is my first thought.

Please tell me you are joking. I was in a vehicle - getting out of it would not only have been strictly against the rules of the National Park I was in, but would also have been putting my life in danger. The people in the vehicle, despite being in the vehicle, were actually in quite serious danger as it was. This elephant was masting, which means it's behaviour was unpredictable and it could have charged at any time. Our ranger (and these rangers are extremely experienced and knowledgable) was actually quite worried about their welfare.

Aaron

You see how the glands near the elephant's eye show wet trails? That is a sign that the elephant is masting and its behaviour can be unpredictable. It is not unusual for a masting elephant to charge. Also this wasn't the only elephant about - there was a herd nearby.

Aaron

Craig? you ok buddy?

I think what you were trying to ask was "was there any available time to get any other shots off?"

or "Do you have any other shots from the safari that are action packed like the first one?"

maybe that will help clear the confusion.

md

Most reactions

Back