close up set up

dwilliams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,
I have a Nikon D60 and I am trying to take good pictures of briar pipes for my website ( Home ).

We have had hit and miss efforts so far using sunlight, flash, fluorescent in turn.

We also have a light box affair that lets light in and are placing the pipes on a white cloth background.

I have tried the ordinary zoom lens and a macro lens with varying apertures, shutter speeds and ISO settings (as well as the AUTO settings) and I am very disappointed with the results we are getting. I can to some extent improve the pictures using Photoshop but I still feel the photo's leave a lot to be desired.

I am new to DSLR (well - photography really), and I am quite baffled why this is the case. I have a tripod also to steady the camera and a big flash thingy (with a manual as big as the New Testament).

Can any give me a rough idea of what settings I need to be using and how far away from the object I need to be. Do I need the macro lens? What lighting do I need.

The main problems are focus, brightness, and an off colour background.

Any help would be much apprecuated.

Thank you

David

Welcome to the forum.

It will really help if you can show us some specific examples of what you are getting, and maybe an example of the type of shot you want to achieve.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply. How do I post a picture. I uploaded two pics to my members gallery - will you be able to find them or do I need to do something else?

Cheers

Dave

Yeah, I have no idea why ... At least you figured it out lol.

Try this link:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum-functions-pictoral-guide-using-tpf.html

I am new to DSLR (well - photography really), and I am quite baffled why this is the case.

Why? It's the photographer that makes the image, the camera/lens just records the image the photographer made.

You now know that making a good photograph is about as difficult as making a good briar pipe.

Consider hiring a commercial photographer to make your product images.

Edit: Failing that, look through this segment of the forums: (click on the red text)

Commercial/Product photography
Share your commercial & product photographs here.

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Most of our pipes are one offs and a comercial photographer charges around £10 for each picture which is reasonable I think. However the £10 would be around 30% of the cost of many of our products and would significantly over price them so I am trying to do it myself.

You can see the results at Home

Thank you

Dave

Are you using a tripod? What does your lighting setup look like exactly?

Are you using a tripod? What does your lighting setup look like exactly?

I am using a light tent that folds away as seen here: Digital Camera Memory, Readers, USB Cable, Batteries & Accessories

I have a lighting flash that attaches to the camera (not the normal flash but a bigger ..er flashier one), see here : [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SB-600-Speedlight-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0002EMY9Y[/ame]
I point this up to the roof of the light box. The camera is on a tripod and ambient light outside the tent is strip lighting, with flourescent strips. The pipe is inside the tent and the camera positioned at the opening allowing the flash thing to illuminate the inside when I take the picture.

I do have a close up lens but this gives worse results than with a normal lens. The camera is about 2 feet from the pipe although I have tried different distances.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Dave

Hmm, I would say you have too much light. If you have light all over it makes a very flat and boring image. Try using just your flash and the right or left light separately, not all 3.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back