Close ups...

Axel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been looking around in the Theme forum and found a lot of good self-portraits. I wonder what kind of lens is to recommend for close up facial pictures? I only have a Sigma 35-70mm lens and my pictures all look like simple snapshots and for that I don't need an SLR! I think you have seen some of them here. Right now I don't have any to post unfortunately... Or do I ask too much from myself? I am thinking that I may rush away too fast and want to take "difficult" pictures before having learned the basics although I thought I knew that... :cry:

the only self portraits i've done are shooting at a mirror.

in terms of what lens, it depends where you are shooting the self portrait- ie in a studio or natural surroundings. u have a bigger choice if its in a studio as u tend to have more space.

in natural surroundings i would really suggest something like an 18-24mm lens. 35mm is ok as long as u have the space for instance in your lounge? as obviously u can't look through the camera when you're shooting my advice is just to practice and be as diverse as possible as with anything new especially in photography it will take time to get it just right...

If I could pick any lens for portrait shots it would be a 100mm MAcro lens, they are ideal for portraits.

Hehe

Time to invest in a prime. 85mm is classic for portraiture... also 135 for face only...

As scurra suggested, 100 is also fun but may be a bit slow to get that super shallow DOF because it's macro.

Cheers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back