Closeup b&w of my son's face

GreenNV

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
pic7.piczo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did clean up his complextion a bit here as he has some acne breakout. He was watching a skateboarding video so thought I would take the opportunity to snap some pics while he was preoccupied. Any tips or suggestions to taking a better b&w picture next time would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

DSC01876.jpg

Great crop and composition. I like that the frame is filled, and he is gazing at something with interest. The focus is a little soft, though. In a close-up portrait like this, crisp, clear eyes really make it pop.

Like the crop and focus. Needs to be bumped in curves!!!

Curves are an option you can use in some image editing softwares like photoshop. It can be used to give an image more contrast. Your image does look a little flat, i think that is why EBJ suggested using curves.

Very nice composition and framing. Handsome boy. Great eyes.

The problem with increasing the contrast on this image is that the lack of detail in the backs of his fingers then becomes very obvious.

This looks like an underexposed film image (not that it is). What it needs is more light, smaller f stop and to be shot from further away (so that the hands aren't over-lit and OOF). This will provide greater contrast and a greater DOF.

Curves are an option you can use in some image editing softwares like photoshop. It can be used to give an image more contrast. Your image does look a little flat, i think that is why EBJ suggested using curves.

Okay thanks John, I will check out my PSP and see what I can find. :)

Great crop and composition. I like that the frame is filled, and he is gazing at something with interest. The focus is a little soft, though. In a close-up portrait like this, crisp, clear eyes really make it pop.

Thank-you Aquarium! I will keep that in mind for next time. ;)

Most reactions

Back