Clouds & storms

David

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davidbazlinton.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have to admit to being a sucker for clouds and photographing them, and whilst archiving some images this evening I found a few that I've never really used, so thought I'd post them here.

1. A gathering storm
egtf_01.jpg

2. Another storm passing through
jax_clouds_03s.jpg

3. The top of a cumulo nimbus as it grows. I wasn't sure whether to clone out the tree, but I kind of like it there!
jax_clouds_01s.jpg

David

very nice shots I especially like #1. these are panorama shots im assuming or just really wide angle?

Very nice shots, clouds are one of my favorites good job.

Steel, from memory and without checking the meta data, they were taken as follows:

Number one using my 5D and an EF 17-35 f2.8 L USM lens at short focal length. It was then cropped to provide a panoramic feel and the curves tweaked a small amount to add extra contrast to the sky.

Number two was with the same lens but using a 20D so didn't give such a wide angle, and was cropped to give a greater sense of panorama.

Number three was taken with my trusty old S50 Powershot as I walked out the front door on the way to take the dogs for a walk and is as it came out of the camera apart from the levels adjustment.

David

I'm familiar with the weather there, but the second one looks somewhat like what a developing supercell with a rain free base and heavy rain. Do you get tornados in that part a England? That might seem like a silly question but, oh well...

I love these shots by the way.

Lovely images. Your shots remind me of something that I once read - "clouds are the mountains of the lowlands". Your photographs certainly give the feeling of great size that clouds have when seen over flat land.

Regards, Tony

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

BoblyBill, a few years ago many would have laughed at your question on this side of the pond, but over the last few years, and as recently as last Thursday, they have been making the news over here. The one in London last week caused some substantial damage (BBC news article here) and the cell that caused it passed over the airfield I work out of on its way to London. We went outside to have a look as the front edge was extremely impressive, but unfortunately it was one of those rare occasions when I didn't have a camera with me.

The image above that you refer to was the back end of a monstrous electical storm that had passed through a short while before the image was taken, but it didn't generate anything other than some very heavy rain and a whole host of lightning strikes.

I have held off posting my favourite cloud image as I may wish to use it in a TPF competition sometime!

I like the quote tb2 it fits nicely. By contrast there is a sign at Lukla Airport in the Himalayas that says "We do not fly in the clouds. The clouds have rocks in them." :mrgreen:

David

#3 is my favorite (nature at her best). I, too, like to photograph clouds. Doesn't take long before they change shape (and color sometimes), so you can't wait too long. Good job! Thanks for sharing!!

I'm a big fan of number 3. Gotta love clouds and storms. I'm planning on going to Kansas/Oklahoma this summer to take some pictures so these are keeping me inspired through the winter.

Most reactions

Back