Clovelly - Devon

David

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.davidbazlinton.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This image was taken at the small village of Clovelly on the North Devon coast. The steep streets do not allow cars, and if you can avoid the myriad of tourists, is an excellent location for photography. This is the harbour at the foot of the village looking roughly east.

Image link.

I have edited this post to change the image to a link as it is a bit wide for the thread, even at this reduced resolution.

David

This is VERRRRY big.
What caused the white line between the moutains in the background and the sky there?

(Somehow that name of Clovelly sounds in my ears ... could the train I took from Penzance to Plymouth have come past there? Could I have gone through their train station?)

shootin in my neck of the woods eh David...... you've got a great shot here....
it does look like the sky has been replaced?.... or was it the shadow highlight tool?...... either way its a bit noticable but nothin a bit of time spent wont fix.... great shot :thumbup:

yeah there's a line above the mountains ... postprocessing is visible but the photo is awesome!

Ahhh, it appears that I have had a senior moment. I do all my post processing on layers and add a 'snapshot' layer at various intervals, and I think that when I saved this image for the web, I didn't have all the layers activated. I have now uploaded the correct image which has the white line removed, so if your reading the above comments after I posted this, they were not mistaken or wrong.

LaFoto: The full file is somewhat larger (approx 12000 pixels across) as I merged three images to create this one result. The white line was caused because I used the pen tool to select the sky and then feathered the selection by 2 pixels before adjusting the levels and curves. I then used the same selection and inverted it to adjust the other parts of the image separately, and the overlap of the feathered edges allowed the original sky to show through. A little fine-tuning of the adjustment layer masks gets rid of it, as you can now see in the correct image above.

The sky was kind of washed out and grey on the day in question, and so I exposed for the ground intending to use levels and selective colour adjustment on the sky to bring out what detail was there.

Archangel: I didn't know you were from one of my favourite parts of the country. I tend to get away down to Devon at least two or three times a year, avoiding the tourist/school holiday season wherever possible. The original images had a dozen or so people on the harbour wall, but the clone tool :drool: soon put pay to them. The sky is the one I shot, with the explanations as above. In fact my first post on this site included an image from the same trip - Saunton. The hercules transport that was landing on the beach at the time is just to the left of the shot.

Mentos_007: Please you like the image, and apologies for my oversight in uploading the wrong image.

Apologies.

David

Most reactions

Back