Club assignment: Take simple photo of fork with coloured shadow

deonholt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all and thank you so long for your help. (Mods can move this to another thread if not belonging here.)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o15/DeonHolt/colouredshadow.jpg

I need to create a picture of something very simple, like a fork, with a white blown out background but a coloured shadow.
I have battled a bit to get the background blown out but have managed to do this with a slower shutter speed. Still I think the fork is a bit to shiny as is, and this is where I need your help.
Stuff used:
Canon 7D with Canon 24-105mm f/4 IS on tripod
Main flash to blow out the background: Canon 550EX
Second flash with gel: Canon 430EXII
PVC white background.

Settings with this shot:
1/125 sec at f 4.0, ISO 100 with lens at 58mm
Main Flash: Full power very close to fork (master flash triggered with wireless flash trigger)
Second flash with gel in front of lens: 1/64 power but not as close as master (slave triggered by master flash.)
Both flashes at same level as fork at either side on floor

Things to change or better:
1. Is the shot over-exposed? I need to wash out the background in order to wash out the background but also not over-expose the fork.
2. With Camera at f 22.0 I managed to get the purple shadow of the gel on the second flash, but it also shed a purple cast splashing onto the PVC background and colouring it from white to purple.

This is an assignment for our next club meeting and I will really appreciate your help.

Regards,
Deon

It seriously needs cropping. Frame it diagonally across the frame, perhaps. Maybe bump the curves and make it a high key with white background?

Yes, I know, thank you. I am not worried about composotion now. I needed to master the effect I wanted to create and then work on composition.

deonholt said:
Yes, I know, thank you. I am not worried about composotion now. I needed to master the effect I wanted to create and then work on composition.

For the blow out background try puting the fork on a softbox or set light on the background... For the colored shadow, ha you tryed a snoot with a colored gel?

Most reactions

Back